Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

size0618

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2022
Is it possible to have items like reminders backed up to iCloud in case my phone dies and I need to restore to a new one but NOT have them sync across all my mac devices? I like the reminders for example on my phone, but don't need them popping up all day on my laptop.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Is it possible to have items like reminders backed up to iCloud in case my phone dies and I need to restore to a new one but NOT have them sync across all my mac devices? I like the reminders for example on my phone, but don't need them popping up all day on my laptop.
You can turn off iCloud for those apps on your other devices.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You can also export the Reminders (and Calendar entries) via a Shortcut. Will export each Reminder as an ics file.

Problem is, there is no way to import an ics file, that I know of, into Reminders, be it Mac or iOS. Some third party apps might do it (for example: it appears Calendar 366 might). Google Calendar can read ics files, and then can sync over to Apple World.

ADD: Shortcut route got me thinking a bit, can also go through all the Reminders and dump an ASCII version of them. Put an odd delimiter between values, for example, FBREAK or [][][], so that can take into a text editor and convert it to a csv file which might importable someplace. Or reverse the process with a Shortcut where you can break up each line at the separator.

I whipped up a test case Shortcut to output a json/dictionary that is easily parsed in via a Shortcut and can re-create the Reminders that way. Worst case, can always run it through some *nix commands to get it into some other format that can be imported on a case-by-case basis.

Attachments

• save_reminders.png
    save_reminders.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.