Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xaosnox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I'm running Yosemite and hope to stay with it as long as possible. However, I know at some point I'll have to move forward, and I haven't downloaded any interim versions of macOS, so I'm thinking I'd better get High Sierra before things get too nuts and my hardware isn't supported anymore.

I'm about to format a new 2TB drive for file storage and TimeMachine backups. i'm thinking it would be good to also install Yosemite on it so that I can boot from it in an emergency.

Is there any way to partition the drive so that there is a Recovery Partition for both Yosemite and High Sierra and a bootable install of both? It used to be an easy thing to set up a dual boot system in OS X. Now it seems that Apple wants to make such choices almost impossible.

The Recovery Partition is a tricky thing even in Yosemite. I imagine it's even more user unfriendly in High Sierra. Has anyone been able to do this? If so, how?

Thanks! I used to be the guy that knew how to do all of this stuff, but I've lost my love of supporting Apple products since we lost Steve, and especially since Ives took over the OS. It's just become a disaster, and I just want to make music!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.