Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
I have a faulty iPhone XS. I was advised by an Apple Authorised Service Provider that if they find out that the circuit board may need to be replaced, I will lose all of my data, and when returned, it would be as if I received a new phone. Also, it's possible a newer version of iOS is installed ie. iOS 13 or 14. At the time my phone died, iOS 12.4 was installed. I did not want iOS 13 to be installed for a few reasons.

I had my phone backed up to iCloud continuously till it died. I understand that downgrading iOS is not possible via iCloud. However, I checked my iTunes, and the last time I did do a complete backup locally on my Mac via iTunes was December 2018, and I think that backup had iOS 12.

Say, I got my phone back with iOS 13 or 14, would it be possible to do a complete restore to iOS 12 from iTunes?

Thanks for your expertise :)

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
iOS 12 is no longer signed by Apple. There are download files of iOS 12 online, however Since it is outdated software, Apple will not allow the OS to be installed.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a faulty iPhone XS. I was advised by an Apple Authorised Service Provider that if they find out that the circuit board may need to be replaced, I will lose all of my data, and when returned, it would be as if I received a new phone. Also, it's possible a newer version of iOS is installed ie. iOS 13 or 14. At the time my phone died, iOS 12.4 was installed. I did not want iOS 13 to be installed for a few reasons.

I had my phone backed up to iCloud continuously till it died. I understand that downgrading iOS is not possible via iCloud. However, I checked my iTunes, and the last time I did do a complete backup locally on my Mac via iTunes was December 2018, and I think that backup had iOS 12.

Say, I got my phone back with iOS 13 or 14, would it be possible to do a complete restore to iOS 12 from iTunes?

Thanks for your expertise :)
Apple prevents downgrading by removing the digital signing of iOS whenever they release a newer version. If we could all do what you are asking then a major reason for jailbreaking iDevices would be eliminated.

iOS 12 isn't signed anymore, neither is iOS 13. If you want to restore and keep your data you're going to be on iOS 14.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Oh okay, that's a pity. Thanks. I guess I'll just have to let go of my dead iPhone XS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.