Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I'm in a distance learning program with an east coast university--all of texts are available as ebooks, so that's the route I went.

Now that I'm hip deep in reading, it appears a snag exists:
Is it possible to export or print out notes added along the way? Seems like a no brainer, but so far, this brain hasn't found a solution.

:::yikes:::

baruchsienna

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
I'm in a distance learning program with an east coast university--all of texts are available as ebooks, so that's the route I went.

Now that I'm hip deep in reading, it appears a snag exists:
Is it possible to export or print out notes added along the way? Seems like a no brainer, but so far, this brain hasn't found a solution.

:::yikes:::

Yes, in the notes view window in iBooks, click on Select in the top right corner. Then select the notes you need (or Select All) and the share icon that appears once you have selected items allows you to send them via email etc.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Yes, in the notes view window in iBooks, click on Select in the top right corner. Then select the notes you need (or Select All) and the share icon that appears once you have selected items allows you to send them via email etc.
I never discovered the "etc." - emailing it to yourself is what I found. A real shortcoming of iBooks IMHO.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster

Hmmm. Guess our mileage differs. Here are the results:

* Sharing to Gmail tells me I’m not signed in, even when Gmail app is running
* Sharing to Evernote sends an empty note (only title, notebook location, and tags exist)
* Save to Dropbox results in an error
* Share to Dropbox doesn't exist (???)
* Add to iCloud Drive does nothing
* Sharing to Captio does nothing
* Sharing to Notes does nothing

The only thing that worked was sharing to Apple's Mail app, then emailing myself, which results in having to copy the content, switch to Evernote, then paste the content, minus formatting (unless I want a really big, clunky mess of a notes list). Major hassle.

I agree with @GerritV. This is a major shortcoming in iBooks.

Reactions: Colonel Panik

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Hmmm. Guess our mileage differs. Here are the results:

* Sharing to Gmail tells me I’m not signed in, even when Gmail app is running
* Sharing to Evernote sends an empty note (only title, notebook location, and tags exist)
* Save to Dropbox results in an error
* Share to Dropbox doesn't exist (???)
* Add to iCloud Drive does nothing
* Sharing to Captio does nothing
* Sharing to Notes does nothing

The only thing that worked was sharing to Apple's Mail app, then emailing myself, which results in having to copy the content, switch to Evernote, then paste the content, minus formatting (unless I want a really big, clunky mess of a notes list). Major hassle.

I agree with @GerritV. This is a major shortcoming in iBooks.

About the Dropbox issues: do you have the Dropbox app installed?
About all the issues: perhaps this is on purpose. After all, you can have copyrighted books in iBooks that aren't even supposed to be exported - it would make sense, right?

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
About the Dropbox issues: do you have the Dropbox app installed?
About all the issues: perhaps this is on purpose. After all, you can have copyrighted books in iBooks that aren't even supposed to be exported - it would make sense, right?

Dropbox installed and open on the device.

As for copyright, (a) I'm trying to export my notes—copyright doesn't apply to those; (b) export via Apple Mail—the only listed option that functions—includes both the highlighted passages and the source citation, thus meeting copyright standards.

Bottom line? "Send to" simply doesn't work. Lots of offered options that lead to dead ends.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Don't forget I'm frustrated as well with iBooks.
Perhaps you can take a look at Notebooks, I believe it can import/open ebooks and even safe your own documents in ebook file format.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sorry if I came across irritated with you--certainly not the case (ah, the pitfalls of forum postings).

Thanks for the link to Notebooks. I'm going to check it out, in hopes of finding a possible solution. Given the number of textbooks already saved in iBooks, moving them into a new app is (hopefully) going to be a one-and-done experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.