Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qudcjf7928

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
so I still have one of those iPhone 4S' lying around and there's nothing wrong with it

but I was wondering if it would be possible to swap just the iPhone 4S rear camera in exchange for

iPhone 6S rear camera OEM ? The shapes for the cameras seem to be similar and even if the

iPhone 6S camera doesn't fit, there's gotta be a way to modify it to fit it in.

OR, maybe not even iPhone 6S camera, but say, like iPhone 5S rear camera OEM ?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Your profile image is very appropriate for this thread lol
Just notice.
But, yeah. Really suites this thread. Lol
Back to OP question, if you ba e the luxury, do it. Otherwise, I would simply give up without even trying if I were you.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You might be able to shave it down to fit it in. Sandpaper and a small hammer should do the trick. Pics of the results please. :)

Reactions: ABC5S

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
if you put both phones in the microwave, it'll make them malleable enough to adjust the size to fit in the 4s. make sure you leave them in there for at least 1 minute.

Reactions: AmazingTechGeek

qudcjf7928

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
okay srsly, I use iPhone but I'm not retarded. Why wouldn't I be able to fit the better camera ?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Where is the OEM camera coming from?
Simple buy a new iPhone, take it apart, and put the new camera in old phone. Don't let the fact that connector may or may not be identical. Don't let the fact that just cuz it looks close that all dimensions are the same. Don't let the fact that the camera and chips work together to form the image. Don't let the fact that software will be different. Don't let the fact that pixel count is different sway you.

After all I should be able to use the water pump from my 2016 Ford Fusion in my 2012 Ford Escape. They both Fords and only a few years apart, what would go wrong with that.

What is scary is that this even needs to be explained.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
okay srsly, I use iPhone but I'm not retarded. Why wouldn't I be able to fit the better camera ?
I don't see why the being retarded should be linked with using an iPhone.....are you suggesting that only retarded people use iPhones?

To answer the question, because they are made for 2 different product, they do the same function in a very different way and rely on different hardware. Try putting a Bluray into your CdPlayer, after all they both do the same thing.....they store data!
But what do I know, I am retarded because i use an iPhone!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
if you ever open up an iPhone you will see that everything is jammed in there tight, there is no wasted space. All components have to be the exact size in order to fit, if the 6 camera component is even a fraction of a MM bigger it wont fit.

the connector may not be the same, you have to connect the camera to phones processor and with the change in form factor they may use a different type of connector altogether

And finally the software required to operate the camera, its not like you can go out and download drivers on the internet for an iphone camera

PS: some of you guys really need to dial it back a little bit, I know everyone wants to be the witty and funny guy on a forum but come on, this could be a kid who is curious and while this inquiry seems stupid to you his next idea might be a great one, but he may never think of it if he gets discouraged after being ridiculed by a bunch of wanna be comedians on an internet forum.

Last edited:

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
I don't think there is any need to get personal with someone who has asked a technical question, no matter how far fetched It may seem to you. A camera can be bought cheaply off eBay, and while I wouldn't attempt to swap it out into an inferior phone I would be interested in the results. My own opinion is the weaker processor, different connectors, and the software which drives the 4S phone would not work with a 6 camera. That's only my opinion, but good luck!

iWombBanger

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Do schools teach anything any more. Or is it a place to keep the kids till parents get home from work?

It is a place to keep the kids while parents work. Otherwise, more people would have common sense that they lack.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
These threads come up every so often. In the past we've had member want to solder in additional RAM, change to bigger storage, and other things. No, none of these things ever work.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
The camera is soldered to the mainboard of the phone. The camera modules are different, therefor they aren't a direct swap. It's like saying "Can I install an Intel Core i7 CPU into my motherboard that currently has a Pentium 4? They are both CPU's so why can't it be installed".

The newer camera modules require additional hardware and software dependencies, and they are different sizes and won't physically fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.