Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imkc_long

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
Anaheim, CA
My wife got a new phone number (long story -- had to be done). We've been messaging each other with the new phone number, but it's keeping the old iMessage conversations separated. Call me sentimental, but I'd like to keep the old conversations, which includes messaging from the time of our wedding a couple months back.

Is there any way to combine the two iMessage threads into one on my iPhone? Or is this a hopeless venture?

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Can't do it. iOS12 has a feature that should do the merging automatically, but it doesn't work, and no one knows/writes about it anyway.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
My wife got a new phone number (long story -- had to be done). We've been messaging each other with the new phone number, but it's keeping the old iMessage conversations separated. Call me sentimental, but I'd like to keep the old conversations, which includes messaging from the time of our wedding a couple months back.

Is there any way to combine the two iMessage threads into one on my iPhone? Or is this a hopeless venture?

hi
unfortunately, no. there does not appear to be any way of joining multiple conversations.
going forward, to be sure, the absolute best way of ensuring that no matter what SIM or mobile number anyone has in their phone, if people set iMessages to always be sending from their apple ID, to other people's apple ID (not mobile fon numbers) there will always only be 1 threaded conversation between these two people, no matter initiated or received on any device. and is easy to backup and sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.