Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnakeByte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I've got two 2020 MBPs connected together with a thunderbolt 3 cable, one booted in Target Disk Mode. I'd like to mount the encrypted apfs volumes as read only.

Once connected, the booted mac (Catalina) prompts for a password to unlock an encrypted volume which I cancel. From the terminal, if I unlock the volume with the "nomount" option, the system nonetheless mounts the partitions:

Code:
$ apfs unlockVolume /dev/disk3s1 -user [UUID CODE GOES HERE] -nomount
Passphrase:
Unlocking the specific cryptographic user [UUID CODE] on APFS Volume disk3s1
Unlocked but did not mount APFS Volume attached via Target Disk Mode
Updated related disks attached via Target Disk Mode to read/write

A second GUI prompt appears asking for the password to unlock an encrypted volume again, which I also cancel. However:

Code:
$ mount
/dev/disk3s1 on /Volumes/Macintosh HD 1 (apfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)
/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data (apfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners, nobrowse)

:(

In a last ditch attempt, I tried to remount as RO:

Code:
sudo mount -u -r /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1
Password:
mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Invalid argument
mount: /Volumes/Macintosh HD 1 failed with 66

Is there a forensically safe way to achieve this?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Sounds like you're on the right track. There must be a way to mount read-only.
As far as "forensically safe", the only way to do that (for purposes of evidence) is a write-blocker device.

SnakeByte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Is there a write-blocker device for target disk mode type setups? The solid state drives in recent MBPs are soldered in place if I remember correctly.

Any idea why -nomount isn't being honored? Is there no way to prevent the automount? Is there another way to unlock an encrypted volume in target disk mode from the CLI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.