Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfgirlgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have an odd situation of a Logic Pro file I was working on that lost a lot of data (from within a vocal synthesis plug-in).
I'd previously been successfully saving the data in the plug-in by simply saving the Logic project file. Everything saves in place just fine.
Until something happened today, and all the note data vanished. (Lots of work!)

So - I immediately tried recovering previous Time Machine versions of the file - but thus far they all have the same issue. The vocal tracks are gone.

So my question is - can I boot (only) into yesterday's state of the machine - and try that (vs a one file recovery type of approach) - just to see if it runs OK that way?
No - I do not want to restore the machine entirely (just yet). That would be more of a last ditch effort.

Ive reached out to the software company but they're in Japan so it might take a while.

Booting into a previous working version with the intact data would allow me to save it to an external file (outside of Logic) - and then import it back in.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not with Time Machine, no. Some other backup solutions will make a “bootable backup” but that would only help for future issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.