Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Yes, I will be asking Apple, but I wanted to ask here first to see if anyone else has tried this and had success.

I use a white iPhone 8 for work. I would like to take the white faceplate from that 8 and replace the black faceplate of a new iPhone SE 2022.

Has anybody done this? How?

I tried white adhesive glass faceplates. They did not work well. I just want to know if anyone has been able to get Apple to switch out a face plate or screen like this? Maybe at the Genius Bar? Or found some reputable third party place to do it?

(Also I don't care about True Tone if I lose that. I recognize there will likely be compromises.)

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I’m not sure what do you mean. Would you like to replace the display on the iPhone 8 with a black display? That is possible and you won’t have to lose True Tone either. Apple won’t help you, they can only fit screens in original configurations.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
I’m not sure what do you mean. Would you like to replace the display on the iPhone 8 with a black display? That is possible and you won’t have to lose True Tone either. Apple won’t help you, they can only fit screens in original configurations.
I want to do the opposite. Take the white screen off the 8 and put it on the newer SE. I want to have white back and white front on the SE 2022.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Apple themselves will definitely not be doing this. You'll have to take it to a third party repair and have them do a swap.

Reactions: Andeddu

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Apple themselves will definitely not be doing this. You'll have to take it to a third party repair and have them do a swap.
Have any good third party repairs in mind?

I'd happily move on from the SE, but I struggle with the OLED screens. So I figure if I'm going to remain with the old design, I would at least like the peaceful white version of it.

Last edited:

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
Have you looked into the Zagg glass luxe screen protectors for the iPhone 8? They have/had a white one, I've always found that those worked well.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Zero chance Apple will do this for you as it’s not an authorised configuration.

Any third-party repair shop should be willing to give it a try though… just do a Google search around your area to find one with reputable feedback.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Any shop that does "glass only" display repair can do this. Pretty simple job, just comes down to whether the shop has a lamination machine to do it.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Have you looked into the Zagg glass luxe screen protectors for the iPhone 8? They have/had a white one, I've always found that those worked well.
I tried these…

But they did not work as well as I would’ve like. The white was a little too translucent and it looked more like a Halloween skeleton. Cool for that. Less lovely if wanting that chill white.

Have you tried this Zagg brand? Tried putting a white over a black? Be curious to know how it looked if you did.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Any shop that does "glass only" display repair can do this. Pretty simple job, just comes down to whether the shop has a lamination machine to do it.
Yeah see those words are new to me in this context. I’ve never had anybody Apple work on an Apple product for me. And a shop that does “glass only” and has a lamination machine seems pertinent but I have no real idea what I’m looking for. My radar for legit and good service for something like this is non-existent.

But I’ll see what I can find. Thanks.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I use a white iPhone 8 for work. I would like to take the white faceplate from that 8 and replace the black faceplate of a new iPhone SE 2022.

Don't know anything about hardware swaps, but if you are swapping the entire screen I would be worried about compatibility: connectors, power, touch services, etc.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yeah see those words are new to me in this context. I’ve never had anybody Apple work on an Apple product for me. And a shop that does “glass only” and has a lamination machine seems pertinent but I have no real idea what I’m looking for. My radar for legit and good service for something like this is non-existent.

But I’ll see what I can find. Thanks.

Just call around and ask for a "glass only" repair. Tell them you only want the display cover glass swapped and want to keep the existing LCD. The shop will understand.

When someone cracks their display, 99% of the time, it's the top cover glass that is damaged. This cover glass is laminated to the actual LCD/OLED panel underneath. Many shops and mall kiosks replace the entire display assembly (which includes the LCD) because it requires less skill and time. But the proper way is to replace the top glass only. It's like replacing the entire door of a car when the only the window needs to be replaced.

Reactions: happy orchard

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
I tried these…

But they did not work as well as I would’ve like. The white was a little too translucent and it looked more like a Halloween skeleton. Cool for that. Less lovely if wanting that chill white.

Have you tried this Zagg brand? Tried putting a white over a black? Be curious to know how it looked if you did.

I have personally used the Zagg brand with a silver-colored screen protector over a black phone, but not a white screen protector. However, in that case it wasn't translucent at all. I recall using the white one at some point, but it was over a white screen... Either way, I think it'd be worth trying.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Just call around and ask for a "glass only" repair. Tell them you only want the display cover glass swapped and want to keep the existing LCD. The shop will understand.

When someone cracks their display, 99% of the time, it's the top cover glass that is damaged. This cover glass is laminated to the actual LCD/OLED panel underneath. Many shops and mall kiosks replace the entire display assembly (which includes the LCD) because it requires less skill and time. But the proper way is to replace the top glass only. It's like replacing the entire door of a car when the only the window needs to be replaced.
That was a wonderful explanation and instruction. Thank you @JPack

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
It’s easier to just ask for an iPhone SE display replacement and ask for a white display. The 8 and newer SE are compatible in screen so either one they have in stock will work.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
One thing to keep in mind if you do plan to go with @JPack suggestion at a third party shop. Is that if something happens to your SE3 and need get something fixed, you can no longer get it replaced at apple store because the fact that the faceplate has been swapped and not original. Apple will not touch it.

Only way would be swapping it back before you take it to the Apple store (I'm sure someone may already know what happened).

IMO if you still want to retain warranty for the SE3, I would just suggest getting a white faceplate glass screen protector like Zagg has and call it a day.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
It’s easier to just ask for an iPhone SE display replacement and ask for a white display. The 8 and newer SE are compatible in screen so either one they have in stock will work.
Ooooo I can do that? How? With Apple? Or the still-to-be-found third party?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Ooooo I can do that? How? With Apple? Or the still-to-be-found third party?
It’s not a repair therefore they won’t carry it out. If your phone is functioning as intended there is nothing Apple can do to help you.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
That was a wonderful explanation and instruction. Thank you @JPack
This is *not* wonderful instruction. As someone who worked in a ubreakifix for years, there's virtually *no* repair shops who will do "glass only" repair locally. It's a procedure that to do correctly requires liquid nitrogen and a clean-room environment - think remanufacturing facility in China - not the back of your neighborhood repair shop.

If your front glass is cracked, "screen protectors" you buy on amazon will *not* help you. There is *no* "cover glass" - the top layer of the LCD, the thing that actually makes image and light, is optically bonded with adhesive to the glass you touch on the top of your phone.

The proper way to do a repair is to replace the entire screen module which consists of the "top glass", LCD, and backlight all fused together. Apple charges $129 for this service, local screen repair phone shops should charge around half that. Apple will only install the "correct" part for your phone - if it's white, it's getting a white screen - not a black one. Third party shops don't care about this, however.

Reactions: Andeddu

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
It’s not a repair therefore they won’t carry it out. If your phone is functioning as intended there is nothing Apple can do to help you.
I’m okay with paying Apple to do it. You know, an out of warranty kind of thing. I’d prefer Apple does it, so if there’s a way to do that, I’d like that.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
This is *not* wonderful instruction. As someone who worked in a ubreakifix for years, there's virtually *no* repair shops who will do "glass only" repair locally. It's a procedure that to do correctly requires liquid nitrogen and a clean-room environment - think remanufacturing facility in China - not the back of your neighborhood repair shop.

If your front glass is cracked, "screen protectors" you buy on amazon will *not* help you. There is *no* "cover glass" - the top layer of the LCD, the thing that actually makes image and light, is optically bonded with adhesive to the glass you touch on the top of your phone.

The proper way to do a repair is to replace the entire screen module which consists of the "top glass", LCD, and backlight all fused together. Apple charges $129 for this service, local screen repair phone shops should charge around half that. Apple will only install the "correct" part for your phone - if it's white, it's getting a white screen - not a black one. Third party shops don't care about this, however.
Understood. Thank you. 👍🏻

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’m okay with paying Apple to do it. You know, an out of warranty kind of thing. I’d prefer Apple does it, so if there’s a way to do that, I’d like that.
I know what you are saying and that you are willing to pay $129 for the service however they will not fix a phone that is not broken. As the above poster said, even if you did break your black faceplate, they will replace it with a black faceplate rather than a white one. A third-party repair shop would likely agree to swap out the colours as they are not beholden to the same standard as Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.