Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi all.

Hopefully the right forum for this, admins pls move if not.

Basically I'm looking at potentially purchasing a Synology NAS DS923+ or DS1522+ and backing the MBP using TM over my WiFi network.

I would prefer these backups to be scheduled whilst I'm offsite but would prefer for the display not to be open during this time. So in this state, will the TM schedule wake the MBP to carry out the backup? Highlighting again that WiFi will be involved. I'm on the latest Ventura build. Is this all even possible?

Bonus Q to those with Synology systems: are the drives spinning and/ or fans at all active whilst idling/ powered on but not in use? I ask as I have an old 3.5" passively cooled external housing where the drive off course spins up and remains in that state until unmounted. Mind you, that's with another old MBP over FW.

Cheers

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You are referring to Power Nap

I have Synology NAS. The disks do spin down due to inactivity and will spin up with network activity accessing the NAS. MBA M2 does perform TM backups to NAS over WiFi when lid is closed because of Power Nap feature. I will say TM backups to NAS are slow even with NAS connected to router via Ethernet and MBA connected via 5Ghz ac wireless.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I have Synology NAS. The disks do spin down due to inactivity and will spin up with network activity accessing the NAS. MBA M2 does perform TM backups to NAS over WiFi when lid is closed because of Power Nap feature. I will say TM backups to NAS are slow even with NAS connected to router via Ethernet and MBA connected via 5Ghz ac wireless.
Thank you, thats's already some good news, only with the limitation of being tethered to power.

Background: I'm not convinced that long-term I will stick to a strict regime of attaching DAS on a set schedule and the MBP is not used on a desk. Only possible location (physical, WiFi Signal, etc) for a NAS is in a small living room, meaning drive and fan noise would be quite distracting. For this reason the consideration of backups occurring whilst I am at work has come up and due to dust I'd prefer to have the lid closed. Speed would therefore play a secondary role.

So then tethered to a power supply daily for 8 hrs, I'll have to decide if this will be of consequence for longevity of the internal battery. Anecdotally I had already purchased Al Dente Pro but chickened out, not knowing if the invasive nature into the system's SMC would carry long term issues in itself.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I use AlDente Pro with limit 80% and run Calibration Mode once a month. Is AlDente smarter/better than Apple’s battery optimization and management features? Hard to say but at least I have some control and visibility with AlDente.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I use AlDente Pro with limit 80% and run Calibration Mode once a month. Is AlDente smarter/better than Apple’s battery optimization and management features? Hard to say but at least I have some control and visibility with AlDente.
Thanks for the feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.