Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
I have a 2nd (older) watch with LTE that is paired to my iPhone. I would like to set it up with a different iCloud account but still being able to use the void/data plan.

What would be the easiest way to set it up with another account? Guess it would need to pair with an iPhone that also (temporarily) has been setup with the new account?

So basically:
- unpair watch
- backup phone, setup with new account
- pair watch, set everything up as needed including LTE
- restore phone from backup

Would the Watch continue to use the LTE plan, even when disconnected forever from the paired phone?

Trying to save myself some time here in case someone already has tried this or has insight why this might not work :)

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Trying to follow... you basically want to setup your iPhone and Apple Watch with a different iCloud account; maybe you are giving your iPhone and Apple Watch to someone else to use? The cellular plan and iCloud account are totally separate. My answer is "Yes", the Apple Watch paired to the iPhone using a different iCloud account will still work with the cellular service.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sounds like the OP doesn’t want to give the phone, just the watch. I don’t have the energy right now to dive down this rabbit hole but I’ll go out on a limb here and say it won’t work as the OP intends.

If it’s a S4 or later, set it up as a Family Watch. Otherwise - good luck!

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
My answer is "Yes", the Apple Watch paired to the iPhone using a different iCloud account will still work with the cellular service.
Ok, decided to give it a try. But instead of messing arround with my own phone I picked up a used iPhone 8.
Unpaired the 2nd watch from my phone, setup the iPhone 8 with a new iCloud account, put in my sim and paired the watch. It detected that the Watch plan was already activated for the sim and activated the esim on the watch.

After that, I moved the sim back to my watch and it appeared everything is working!
So this independent Watch now shares my data plan but with a separate iCloud account.

Sounds like the OP doesn’t want to give the phone, just the watch. I don’t have the energy right now to dive down this rabbit hole but I’ll go out on a limb here and say it won’t work as the OP intends.

If it’s a S4 or later, set it up as a Family Watch. Otherwise - good luck!
Exactly, just wanted a seperate watch with mobile data without having to purchase another full data plan. Family plan is not (yet) offered by my carrier and probably would have costed 2-3 as much.

So, now my dog also has an Apple Watch. Really fun comparing our daily walks in the forrest. He's definitely making more miles than me. And real-time tracking via FindMy also working perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.