Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdewitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
i'll be doing my thing in google maps, or ipod, or listening to ipod while surfing safari and all of a sudden it stops goes to a black screen and takes me to the home screen and forgets i was doing anything at all. is it just me or what... and not a huge thing only happens every now and then

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Crashes

I get a few crashes, but much better than most systems I have used. Usually when 3 or more windows are open, and it is generally limited to a few sites that are more intense than what one should be browsing on a phone.

The interesting problem is all the ads I have to deal with now, post-firefox and adblock. This is a big source of the problems, but I haven't figured out how to use the adblocking extensions for Safari on the iPhone yet.

basicfiend

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
apple collecting debug info

yes, same thing has happened to me mostly in safari. But last time I synced, it said that there was feedback info available to be sent to apple and asked my permission to send. My guess is that apple is collecting bug information!

cdewitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
i hope so, and in the settings for safari u can click black popups... might help

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I've been surfing Safari on wifi while listening to music and had the music suddenly stop.

Tonight, while listening just to the ipod, everything went black and had to soft reset.

These sort of things happen on windows phones too, so it's not entirely unusual. still love this phone.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
...all of a sudden it stops goes to a black screen and takes me to the home screen and forgets i was doing anything at all.

Same thing's been happening on my wife's phone. Especially when scrolling through cover flow. A few other random times, too. It's the only real bug we've encountered. I expect the first software update will address this.

fraXis

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I have the same problem.

Been listening to music 3 times while using Safari and both shut down and send me to the home menu.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Yep - there's issues with Safari stability. When it crashes, it affects other services on the phone as well. At least that's been my experience.

genova35

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Same...

Just noticed this happening last night. Listening to music and surfing. Tried to open CNN.com. Gets about 80% open and then crashes, music turns off, screen resets to home screen.

Come on update!

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
So far, I have had this happen in Safari, email, google maps and while listening to music. I think it may have happened once in the settings as well.

-jt2

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
I had this problem as well. After a while, it got progressively worse until it was sending me back to the home screen after just a minute or so of using just about any application. Same symptoms as others here: music would stop, black screen, then back to the home screen. I tried doing the reset function on the phone but that didn't help.

I finally did a Restore from iTunes do see if it would fix the problem. It did, but it also erased all my system settings so I had to set up all my prefs again. Since then the phone has been behaving better, but I have noticed it still crashing a few times, especially in Safari and Google Maps.

I really hope this gets fixed soon as it is my main gripe with the phone

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
"I finally did a Restore from iTunes do see if it would fix the problem. It did, but it also erased all my system settings so I had to set up all my prefs again."

I am not SURE. But I think you can do a software restore - then you can do a data restore from the backups that iTunes creates. If the problem persists, I would try what you did and not recycle the settings.

joelk

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
i'll be doing my thing in google maps, or ipod, or listening to ipod while surfing safari and all of a sudden it stops goes to a black screen and takes me to the home screen and forgets i was doing anything at all. is it just me or what... and not a huge thing only happens every now and then

i can't use safari or google maps for more than a few minutes before they both crash :(

still loving the phone but this needs to be fixed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.