Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
My friend and i have a domain we currently own (http://www.ibyourmom.com), and until recently, have had it hosted with 100 MB of space... we don't use the webspace anymore, but we regularly use our pop3 email addresses at that site. We're too cheap to renew our hosting at that site, but i was just wondering... where is the cheapest place i can find that will use our domain name and host at least 2 pop3 email accounts that get moderate (30-50 emails a day) traffic? are there places that will just host for the email accounts, or will we have to actually have webspace too?

any explanation of how this works would also be appreciated--i'm not totally ignorant on the topic, but pretty close, hah.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
First off, you should know better than to make a thread title that generic. After G went to the trouble to make a sticky, too. Sheesh. :p

Secondly, you can't have email without taking some space on a server. You might want to peruse the web hosting recommendations thread for good hosts to go with. Or just find a cheap ass one and take your chances. ;)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
hah, sorry... i couldn't frame it in any way that really made much sense to me.

thanks, i think i can just go for one of those places on the thread you mentioned.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
www.everyone.net is an email-only host, i've been using them for some time now. it's about $35 a year for basic service, which is 5 accounts, each with 10 megs of space.

i don't need server space either, but i wanted control over my own email and this was the best deal i found. they've got superior up-time (don't recall ever having a problem retrieving email) they've got some nice bonuses and their service is good. there are a couple steps involved in transferring your domain to them, but they're very helpful.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
you should have gone to 1and1 when they had the promo, I'll keep my eyes open tho shadow

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by sonofslim
www.everyone.net is an email-only host, i've been using them for some time now. it's about $35 a year for basic service, which is 5 accounts, each with 10 megs of space.

i don't need server space either, but i wanted control over my own email and this was the best deal i found. they've got superior up-time (don't recall ever having a problem retrieving email) they've got some nice bonuses and their service is good. there are a couple steps involved in transferring your domain to them, but they're very helpful.
that doesn't sound so bad... it sounds like they include the registration of the domain name in the price, so $35 a year between me and my friend would be pretty affordable... it's too bad they don't let you do just 2 accounts with 25 Megs each, but oh well. sounds like it's the most convenient option. thanks a lot for the heads up, anyhow.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I use http://uk2.net , they offer domain forwarding & hosting. You get what you pay for, i think the basic is web forwarding to a holding page & 1 email to a pop account. if you want more email forwarding you pay extra. If you want web space you can buy it when you need it.

You may have to pay a tranfer out fee for your current host. & posibly a transfer in fee to a new host.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.