Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Not sure who was there first. But, out of view, there are two available hammocks :D

bogart and hazel.jpg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I have one that comes around that is uglier than him. Strange animal with strange feet.

I think possums are sort of sweet looking, in an almost prehistoric sort of way, and no surprise then that their lineage does date back about 20-23 million years.

Their little paws are a trip to look at, it's true.. and very grabby when it comes to hanging onto twigs and to food they have selected. The young ones are adorable once they get out of the pouch and start riding around on mama's back for awhile, and when they start figuring out how to use that prehensile tail. These are not my photos, but the top one reminds me of how a young one greeted me one day in early winter when I glanced out the kitchen window and there she was hanging upside down in my lilac out there, maybe six inches away! I didn't feed her since they don't hibernate and I didn't want to accustom her to handouts. But I had to walk away from that window because in another 30 seconds I would have been slicing up an apple for her, she was that cute. I did feed out one there one winter and the darn thing hung out in that lilac most of the season and then had babies out in my toolshed, which I could not venture into without getting hissed at for two months afterwards, so... lesson learned.

getting back on the branch not so easy.jpg

the fun part.jpg

Their 40 or 50 teeth in that long jaw are no joke, and some states in the USA require a wildlife rehab license to keep one on the premises intentionally. As omnivores they will sometimes eat carrion and are capable of passing on disease to domestic pets or to humans. They're also vulnerable to diseases they might get from humans or domestic animals, so they're not meant to be pets... even if you do happen to lend the underside of your porch to a mama possum sometime while she has her babies and looks after them for a couple months while they're too young to be out and about.

Possums generally don't carry rabies because their body temperature is on the low side to harbor that virus; unfortunately sometimes their defense mechanisms leading up to their notorious "playing dead" routine can include behavior that in other animals does signal late stage rabies, so they're occasionally shot for no good reason.

Leaving aside all that, possums in the USA, like squirrels, sometimes do end up on human dinner tables. They would not be my choice for a meal though, and not just because the younguns are cute. Possums are actually on my list of heroes, since they like to groom themselves and eat any ticks that land on them; they are known to dispatch thousands of deer ticks in a season, so contributing to the fight against Lyme disease....

Last edited:

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I think possums are sort of sweet looking, in an almost prehistoric sort of way, and no surprise then that their lineage does date back about 20-23 million years.

Their little paws are a trip to look at, it's true.. and very grabby when it comes to hanging onto twigs and to food they have selected. The young ones are adorable once they get out of the pouch and start riding around on mama's back for awhile, and when they start figuring out how to use that prehensile tail. These are not my photos, but the top one reminds me of how a young one greeted me one day in early winter when I glanced out the kitchen window and there she was hanging upside down in my lilac out there, maybe six inches away! I didn't feed her since they don't hibernate and I didn't want to accustom her to handouts. But I had to walk away from that window because in another 30 seconds I would have been slicing up an apple for her, she was that cute. I did feed out one there one winter and the darn thing hung out in that lilac most of the season and then had babies out in my toolshed, which I could not venture into without getting hissed at for two months afterwards, so... lesson learned.

Their 40 or 50 teeth in that long jaw are no joke, and some states in the USA require a wildlife rehab license to keep one on the premises intentionally. As omnivores they will sometimes eat carrion and are capable of passing on disease to domestic pets or to humans. They're also vulnerable to diseases they might get from humans or domestic animals, so they're not meant to be pets... even if you do happen to lend the underside of your porch to a mama possum sometime while she has her babies and looks after them for a couple months while they're too young to be out and about.

Possums generally don't carry rabies because their body temperature is on the low side to harbor that virus; unfortunately sometimes their defense mechanisms leading up to their notorious "playing dead" routine can include behavior that in other animals does signal late stage rabies, so they're occasionally shot for no good reason.

Leaving aside all that, possums in the USA, like squirrels, sometimes do end up on human dinner tables. They would not be my choice for a meal though, and not just because the younguns are cute. Possums are actually on my list of heroes, since they like to groom themselves and eat any ticks that land on them; they are known to dispatch thousands of deer ticks in a season, so contributing to the fight against Lyme disease....

Quite the family portrait! I have two thst come around on occasion, some nights I forget to bring in the left cat food, that when the creature come around. The raccoon is bolder and tries to get their earlier, but I manage to chase it as soon I hear the loud crunching.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I posted pics of my cats. But we also have 14 tarantulas.

IMG_3926.JPG

We have three baboons. Here they are. They are rather elusive. And extremely fast & dangerous if mishandled. We never take the baboons out. Our Kilimanjaro Mustard Tarantula
IMG_3932.JPG

Our Orange Baboon Tarantula
IMG_1607.JPG

And our Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula
IMG_1588.jpeg

Now we have our Blue Metallica Pokie. We think she is our prettiest one. Again very fast & dangerous if mishandled. This one will run rather than fight, but I would never want to back her in a corner.
IMG_8281.jpeg

These are our most dangerous and aggressive tarantulas. They are all between 4-5 inches in length and still growing. We do have many docile ones as well that we can and do handle. I will post more pics tomorrow of them. Nice thing about tarantulas is they never make noise and only have to be fed once a week. Hope you enjoy the pics. And definitely feel free to ask any questions you may have. Thanks

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I'll drop these...our present dog the very 1st day in our home out of the shelter: exhausted, feverish, recovering from human wounds and mange sores.
The second one a year later, fully recovered.

Always lived with dogs (always female) throughout my life, purebred, half-breed, large, small, alone or three at a time. She is the best of all, hands down
DSCN0769.jpg
IMG_20131124_112750.jpg

[automerge]1593020824[/automerge]
IMG_20140715_105111.jpg
IMG_20150511_120140.jpg

Needless to say the now she's leading a fairytale life, always and everywhere with some member of the family ( or the whole of us). P.S. She has visited all Europe, from Ireland to Turkey, from Portugal to Russia

Last edited:

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I'll drop these...our present dog the very 1st day in our home out of the shelter: exhausted, feverish, recovering from human wounds and mange sores.
The second one a year later, fully recovered.

Always lived with dogs (always female) throughout my life, purebred, half-breed, large, small, alone or three at a time. She is the best of all, hands down View attachment 927227 View attachment 927235
[automerge]1593020824[/automerge]
View attachment 927242 View attachment 927243
Needless to say the now she's leading a fairytale life, always and everywhere with some member of the family ( or the whole of us). P.S. She has visited all Europe, from Ireland to Turkey, from Portugal to Russia
The last image in the field is nice.

Reactions: sofila
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.