Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I was just over at my apple store. Not to buy anything, but to check out MacBOOKPRO. The whine. The heat. The result: There was 15 and 17 inch on display to play around with. On the 15 inch the two problems didn't seem to be there. There was no whine on it, and it was cool to touch. I checked both underneath and up by the F keys. Now the hot one was the PowerBook 12 inch. Un-freakin-believable. I regret lifting it and touching it. Ouch fingers. Also, the iBook 12inch was very warm, while the 14 inch on display was cool. So result:

MacBookPro: Cool enough-no whine
17 inch- bit warm, no biggie-no whine
iBook- HOLY CRAP THAt IS HOT...
14 Inch- Cool
PowerBook G4-I regret I even touched it.

That is my opinion of apple laptop temps
You may post your opinions here.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Here's my temps (thanks to Temperature Monitor):

picture12pb.png

12" PowerBook G4 1.5ghz

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
12" powerbook 1.5GHz

in Celsius/Fahrenheit...

CPU bottom - 51 / 123
Battery - 27/ 82
GPU - 54/ 129
Hard Drive - 46/ 114

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
imacintel said:
On the 15 inch the two problems didn't seem to be there. There was no whine on it, and it was cool to touch. I checked both underneath and up by the F keys.
FWIW, on the two MacBok Pros that I owned, there'd be no way you'd be able to hear the whine above the hustle and bustle of an Apple store. For me, it was only evident in extremely quiet places, like my bedroom at night, or when people stop talking in a small conference room at work.

Glad to hear that there are cool MBPs out there. The two I owned were definately MUCH HOTTER than the 15" PowerBook they replaced.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
amacgenius said:
Here's my temps (thanks to Temperature Monitor):

picture12pb.png

12" PowerBook G4 1.5ghz

Is it possible to get all those temps on a MacBook?
All I see is option for the CPU, I would like to see the temps of the hard disc as well...

My CPU is 34 while browsing the internet

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
imacintel said:
LOL. Go ahead- roast your lap
I wish there was a way to easily read case temperatures. A well cooled laptop can be hot as the center of the sun inside and still comfortable to use if the heat is vented properly.

The heat coming out of the fan discharge area on my work T60 ThinkPad feels like its coming from a hair dryer (so I know that the CPU and hard drive temps would read "HOT!"), but the casing never gets above room temperature.

To me, it's the comfort of the casing that matters.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
aristobrat said:
FWIW, on the two MacBok Pros that I owned, there'd be no way you'd be able to hear the whine above the hustle and bustle of an Apple store. For me, it was only evident in extremely quiet places, like my bedroom at night, or when people stop talking in a small conference room at work.

Glad to hear that there are cool MBPs out there. The two I owned were definately MUCH HOTTER than the 15" PowerBook they replaced.

Well...technically it was an AAR(apple auth. reseller)

It was dead silent in there.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
My MBP 15" idles at 45C...light work (MSN/Word/Safari/etc) is 50C...if I push the GPU and both CPU cores hard, then it will reach 80C, but after a few min the fans come on and it drops to 70-75C.

rec3490

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Maine
Hot Trackpad

OK, So my 17" 1.67 PB has the disease......what's the cure???????
Here's my graph(EKG:rolleyes:) from Temp. Monitor.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.