Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Indian food.

Palak Paneer (spinach and cottage cheese)

Pudina Chicken (mint and coriander curry)

Samosa Chaat (fried potatoe dumplings with sauce, and chickpeas)

Gobi (fried cauliflower in spicy chili sauce)

99ce57226c200524eea2bd8098fb6a9a.jpg
3050d938ecaf4796859564a4c12f2785.jpg

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Saw this on an older Adam Ragusea video, thought I'd give it a try. His local hangout makes a grilled-cheese on a brioche bun, smashed down with a heavy weight. Brioche is quite sweet, so it really browns nicely in the hot butter.
Adam did a few variations, and I made his "sorta-Cuban" for lunch today; buttered inside of bottom bun, slice of cheddar, dill pickle slices, two slices of Black Forest ham, slice of pepperjack, then Kewpie inside the top bun (Dumbsh*t forgot the mustard, I'll remember tomorrow). Get the pan hot, melt a pat of butter, add sammich and press down with a brick; 3 minutes first side, flip, return brick, and 2 minutes on the second side:

Two.jpg

Add a bowl of home-made tomato soup and a pickle, not a bad lunch on a rainy day.

Three.jpg

Sandwich was great, I'll probably make grilled-cheese this way from now on (even though the damn brioche buns were $4.99/four).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Saw this on an older Adam Ragusea video, thought I'd give it a try. His local hangout makes a grilled-cheese on a brioche bun, smashed down with a heavy weight. Brioche is quite sweet, so it really browns nicely in the hot butter.
Adam did a few variations, and I made his "sorta-Cuban" for lunch today; buttered inside of bottom bun, slice of cheddar, dill pickle slices, two slices of Black Forest ham, slice of pepperjack, then Kewpie inside the top bun (Dumbsh*t forgot the mustard, I'll remember tomorrow). Get the pan hot, melt a pat of butter, add sammich and press down with a brick; 3 minutes first side, flip, return brick, and 2 minutes on the second side:

View attachment 2369289

Add a bowl of home-made tomato soup and a pickle, not a bad lunch on a rainy day.

View attachment 2369290

Sandwich was great, I'll probably make grilled-cheese this way from now on (even though the damn brioche buns were $4.99/four).
An excellent idea.

Precisely because brioche is so sweet, some people make the mistake of thinking that it can only be served with sweet stuff - jam, honey, plus butter etc - whereas I have also taken your suggested route, of serving savoury treats (ham, cheese, pickles, mustard, sometimes, salami) with brioche, and find that it works superbly well.

Last edited:
Reactions: BotchQue

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Not sure if you are near Whole Foods but they carry brioche buns for around $5.50 for 6.

For grilled cheese you can also find brioche loafs of bread in some bakeries. Makes some phenomenal French toast, as well as sandwiches.

Made steak and potatoes Tonight. Really underestimated how hot my grill gets, and mages to take my trip tip past medium. C'est la vie.

a90adc9468da1a9476bb659dc58f1e2a.jpg

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Had some business to attend to near Chinatown.

Got these Manapua for a late breakfast.

One is CharSiu pork, and the other curry chicken.

These are similar to the dim sum version, but here in Hawaii they have evolved into their own thing, bigger and with some ingredients that stray from the traditional Chinese menu.

The bread is similar to brioche, super sweet fluffy, and buttery. They are absolutely delicious.
6912ac15f41b231762fd097beb144306.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not sure if you are near Whole Foods but they carry brioche buns for around $5.50 for 6.

For grilled cheese you can also find brioche loafs of bread in some bakeries. Makes some phenomenal French toast, as well as sandwiches.

Made steak and potatoes Tonight. Really underestimated how hot my grill gets, and mages to take my trip tip past medium. C'est la vie.

a90adc9468da1a9476bb659dc58f1e2a.jpg
Oh dear.

Rare, rare, blood red rare, for me, by preference.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Oh dear.

Rare, rare, blood red rare, for me, by preference.
Yeah I love my steaks medium-medium rare, and usually take great care to make sure it never goes past there. I was reverse searing these tri-tips in the smoker, and brought them up to 115 degrees f (46c), which is perfect to then sear for it to land at medium.

However I used my grill to sear, as I had many other things going, and just cranked it to maximum heat which is 700 degrees f (371c), and I guess that is a bit too hot. I only had them in there for 40 seconds per side, but wow that much heat really put a lot of gray on them

I have a new searing torch in the mail, so hopefully this won't happen again.

At least they had a beautiful crust.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah I love my steaks medium-medium rare, and usually take great care to make sure it never goes past there. I was reverse searing these tri-tips in the smoker, and brought them up to 115 degrees f (46c), which is perfect to then sear for it to land at medium.

However I used my grill to sear, as I had many other things going, and just cranked it to maximum heat which is 700 degrees f (371c), and I guess that is a bit too hot. I only had them in there for 40 seconds per side, but wow that much heat really put a lot of gray on them

I have a new searing torch in the mail, so hopefully this won't happen again.

At least they had a beautiful crust.
Too much, - far too hot - indeed, absolutely agreed.

In any case, I have learned (the hard way, i.e. the path of bitter experience), that steak needs to be out of the fridge and resting at room temperature for at least an hour prior to its introduction to (high) heat, and that, after cooking, (I usually sauté it at high heat), it also needs to be allowed to "rest" for at least the length of time that it had been cooking for in order for it to be at its tasty best.

HDFan

macrumors 604
Jun 30, 2007
but wow that much heat really put a lot of gray on them
emoji22.png

I always cook my red meat Sous Vide to get perfect doneness. Marinates as it cooks if you want. Maybe sear just before putting in the bag with flavorings then torch or sear after. Perfectly even cooking with a touch of grey, or none is that's what you want.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I always cook my red meat Sous Vide to get perfect doneness. Marinates as it cooks if you want. Maybe sear just before putting in the bag with flavorings then torch or sear after. Perfectly even cooking with a touch of grey, or none is that's what you want.
Yeah I have a sous vide, I have actually gravitated away from using it for steaks. I find that I like the texture of reverse sear more, and while you can't get quite as little grey the meat isn't homogeneous.

I set my smoker to 250, and pull the meat at 110-115, then sear as the last step.

I cooked this filet mignon reverse sear a while back, and nailed it.
2b4f919084fd8c220aafabf2e6f92d7e.jpg

This was just user error on my part not realizing just how dang hot my grill gets on its highest setting. Even in a screaming hot pan you get a bit of leeway on the sear, but at 700 degrees things happen fast.

I have a specialty searing torch arriving here soon that will make sure it doesn't happen again.

I love the sous vide for fish, duck, and tough cuts though. The torch will get lots of use on my sous vide proteins in the future as well.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of my favorite Bahn Mi shops is near the airport. They are take out only, but luckily there is a McDonald's right next door.

Friends flight was delayed, so it was lemongrass chicken Bahn Mi time with a side of fries.
24f0da6914de7e4a96c58e046851dbb5.jpg
Banh Mi is an incredible fusion food, and, while I have had pulled pork Banh Mi (delicious), I must say that lemongrass chicken Banh Mi sounds amazing.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
From scratch Penne pasta with sausage, and asparagus in a sauce of lemon juice/zest, white wine, Spanish olives, fresh basil, fresh Italian parsley, apple cider vinegar, and fresh garlic. Covered with grated parmesan , and asagio cheese

38dc55c88d2d8c684df3ce7364f5741f.jpg
d51f854ea358669828661337844877f3.jpg
bb36069df29c9fc804a7cf93d2e9f1a5.jpg

Definitely need to refine my technique, but fresh pasta is always delicious, and this was a first attempt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.