Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Latest endeavour

Photo by David Clode
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 00.59.45.jpg

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
I really detest that new menu bar. There are almost no elements to distinguish it from your background. I don't want it to just look like a bunch of floating text.

I actually kinda like it but, some wallpapers do not work like this one, there are those where you can see where the menu bar stop edge to edge, some in the middle others from each/one side(s)

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
@dumiku Do you remember the application for earlier OS X versions? the LeoColorbar one? It was essentially making a desired color under the menubar to get a great effect separate from the rest of the wallpaper. I thought it was great.
I would agree, that perhaps some wallpapers fit better with that new menubar in Big Sur than others.I can't wait to get in on the Public Beta of Big Bur.

Reactions: bhtwo

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
@dumiku Do you remember the application for earlier OS X versions? the LeoColorbar one? It was essentially making a desired color under the menubar to get a great effect separate from the rest of the wallpaper. I thought it was great.
I would agree, that perhaps some wallpapers fit better with that new menubar in Big Sur than others.I can't wait to get in on the Public Beta of Big Bur.

Leo was great but didn't work after SnowLeopard, Menubar Tint was great also... no longer works.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Leo was great but didn't work after SnowLeopard, Menubar Tint was great also... no longer works.

It did work on later macOS versions in my experience.. I am certain that I used it with High Sierra and possibly also Mojave.. Catalina is out of the question because of 32bit missing. I will give you that the optimal OS X version was probably Snow Leopard up to perhaps Mavericks. LeoColorBar wasn't working 100% for me on later macOS, meaning it was quite heavy to handle - but for setting a wallpaper and have a color under the menubar - it barely, worked for that.

I honestly can't remember. I am certain I've used it on "modern" macOS.

It was one of those fun small utilities that brought us much joy back then and as you mention, Menubar Tint too.

Reactions: bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.