Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
To continue my own theme of celebrating the anniversary of the Mac, here is a Panther desktop I made, complete with the original logo used for 10.3. 10.3 was actually the first version of OS X that I ever used and I fell in love with it right away. The only other operating systems I can think of in my life that had just as big of an impact would probably be iOS and to a lesser extent Windows 95.

I remember wanting a Mac so bad and I would obsess over just how great it looked, amazed at how windows moved, resized, and minimized. Amazed at how incredible the whole operating system looked, and the fact that it was far more stable than any operating system before. Then when I got it I got to use Safari for the first time and that also blew me away. And just the whole aqua ui was incredible at the time, and I'd argue a lot of 10.3 holds up today. A lot of people like to argue that Tiger or Snow Leopard were the best versions of OS X but I am nostalgic for this one, and I also think it truly made sure OS X was on rock solid foundations before expanding greatly on the base with Tiger and a few years later, iOS.
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 1.25.21 AM.png

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
To continue my own theme of celebrating the anniversary of the Mac, here is a Panther desktop I made, complete with the original logo used for 10.3. 10.3 was actually the first version of OS X that I ever used and I fell in love with it right away. The only other operating systems I can think of in my life that had just as big of an impact would probably be iOS and to a lesser extent Windows 95.

I remember wanting a Mac so bad and I would obsess over just how great it looked, amazed at how windows moved, resized, and minimized. Amazed at how incredible the whole operating system looked, and the fact that it was far more stable than any operating system before. Then when I got it I got to use Safari for the first time and that also blew me away. And just the whole aqua ui was incredible at the time, and I'd argue a lot of 10.3 holds up today. A lot of people like to argue that Tiger or Snow Leopard were the best versions of OS X but I am nostalgic for this one, and I also think it truly made sure OS X was on rock solid foundations before expanding greatly on the base with Tiger and a few years later, iOS.
View attachment 2354403
Super - we had some great theme options with Tiger, thinking about Shapeshifter here - some great themes. Thanks Gerrit!

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Super - we had some great theme options with Tiger, thinking about Shapeshifter here - some great themes. Thanks Gerrit!
You're too kind bhtwo, thank you so much. Exciting times and themes they were indeed.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Nice surprise to see you going for a different style here, bhtwo.
Running a Jonas Rask iconset, are you?
Hi Gerrit

Glad you like - I have about ten of these drawings set to rotate. The detail is exquisite!

Icons are indeed Ekisho by Jonas Rask.

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Couldn't settle on a wallpaper this month. I ended up going with something super-simple, using a photo widget to cycle through photos (so I still have something nice to greet me when I look at my Desktop).

View attachment 2358440
This is such a cool idea, I love it.
Can't help but wondering how you got the widgets so nicely centered and aligned. Or do they automatically snap?

Reactions: adamlbiscuit

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
This is such a cool idea, I love it.
Can't help but wondering how you got the widgets so nicely centered and aligned. Or do they automatically snap?
Unfortunately it doesn’t snap to the center automatically. I had to get a Finder window, and resize it so that it was the same dimensions as the overall area of the widgets. Then I used a window manager (Better Snap Tool in this case) to center the Finder window, which I then used as a guide to align the widgets.

You only have to center the big widget thankfully, as the others will snap around it once you’ve got the main one in place.

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Unfortunately it doesn’t snap to the center automatically. I had to get a Finder window, and resize it so that it was the same dimensions as the overall area of the widgets. Then I used a window manager (Better Snap Tool in this case) to center the Finder window, which I then used as a guide to align the widgets.

You only have to center the big widget thankfully, as the others will snap around it once you’ve got the main one in place.
Smart, I suspected something in that direction.
However, seemingly the 2nd, 3rd... widget that you drag onto the desktop creates a preview frame that aligns with the very first widget.
Thanks again for sharing.

Reactions: adamlbiscuit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.