Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
A theme is developing... my 2018 mini:

MCPv2-20221104.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
That looks amazing Allan... almost back to Shapeshifter. I can imagine the work you've put in to this theme having dabbled a bit myself.

Ventura?

Great job!
Thank you!

A rollercoaster ride for sure. Riding on the highs and the very highs - then the lows, then back up.

I must have started 4 times over because of one thing or another.

This is just Monterey as my Mac has a slight problem with not being officially able to run macOS Ventura. Although it can - just fine. There was just some small issues with Chromium-based browsers.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Nord for Ventura looking pretty stick as a WIP

View attachment 2111009

If any kind soul could point me as to where this background damn asset is located Id be almost done! :D
View attachment 2111011
Looks amazing!! What a surprise really. The asset for that on Ventura? Looks like it might be a Mica asset in DarkAqua; WindowBackground. Perhaps I should try Ventura again. Because it's a different beast than Monterey.

Reactions: ratspg

rteer

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2022
Looks amazing!! What a surprise really. The asset for that on Ventura? Looks like it might be a Mica asset in DarkAqua; WindowBackground. Perhaps I should try Ventura again. Because it's a different beast than Monterey.
Thanks man much appreciated, yeah I thought that would be the case but not having much with that particular block of background colour, I've changed it across all of the 'Dark' .cars updating the mica assets, seems that that block still persists in certain areas of the ui. I'll find it eventually I guess :D and get rid of that last remaining area of Mac os default dark grey shade. Im thinking I could do a modern port of 'Milk' with a bit more ease to be honest which is usually my go-to with a new OS update, but wanted to do things a little different this time around! Been really utilising dark mode since upgrading to the new laptop so don't really want to go back without trying!

If I can get that background assets theres really no limits to what can be done on Ventura (a port of Stefanka's Cerebro/SimpleOne anyone? :D)

Quick update, all of the Nord palette accent colours now working nicely also :)

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 09.08.45.png

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Excellent job, Allan! Again!!!
What perseverance and craftsmanship. Awesome.
I sincerely regret that this is not possible (yet) on my M1 MBP... 🙃
Unless there is an installer for these I'm going to have to miss out.

There is a M1 version of MacForge and Airbrush.
View attachment 2111419
Carpinteria, United States
2015 MacBook Pro

Stunning sky in this photo, works really well with the menu bar!
Looks like Bryce 3D... I'll have a go at it.

Last edited:

rteer

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2022
Unless there is an installer for these I'm going to have to miss out.

There is a M1 version of MacForge and Airbrush.

Looks like Bryce 3D... I'll have a go at it.
Ive actually went down the route of replacing the system files myself and generating a new snapshot, not been the greatest fan of MacForge on my systems, led to A LOT of crashes and issues in the past so Ive tended to avoid it personally. Its a great piece of kit but not for me personally.

I might have some time in the next few weeks to build my scripts into an app of sorts that would allow for quick easy theme switching on Ventura, though it would involve SIP being switched off.

I think V1 would be getting the app to replace the required bundled system files, however I would rather take it a step further and to take the stock system files that are machine/installation specific, clone the required files, replace the individual assets within the cloned files, swap them with the installed files and generate a new snapshot. Doing it that way would allow the assets to be compiled into a preview where we could use the app to create themes and visualise them in a preview window before applying them to the system

Quick UI mockup POC:
Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 13.39.13.png

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but these "show your desktop" threads are for showing images of macOS desktops... not for a discussion of modding the desktop. Please create another thread for those discussions. You can certainly post photos images of the final products, as those posts would be on topic... but the "how to" and step-by-step modding is not, IMO.

Reactions: Blaine and rteer

rteer

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2022
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but these "show your desktop" threads are for showing images of macOS desktops... not for a discussion of modding the desktop. Please create another thread for those discussions. You can certainly post photos images of the final products, as those posts would be on topic... but the "how to" and step-by-step modding is not, IMO.
No problem, but isn't it a little silly that you can post a photo but not discuss how it was achieved? If a custom wallpaper is shown is it not allowed to be discussed? No one is giving step by step instructions/how to's or anything like that, I get your point but seems a little short minded.

I'll make another post elsewhere though 👍

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.