Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I own this car

IMG_2935.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2932.jpg

And I hope that in a few years it will look something like this

da56853c27994f0073e5a92cdc33106d.jpg

With some performance upgrades under the hood :)

This one is on Bring a Trailer now. It's estimated that there are 30 of these in the US. I'd love to make it 31.

D7K_6934-940x622.jpg

We will also be able to start importing these to the US next year-I would love to have one of these also.

2b6e45ca3c36c7d8b954c58bc1b3e7f8--there-were-shells.jpg

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
1.) Your first sentence makes no sense to me.

2.) So you are from India then (Or Canada, which the Fortuner is not available their). . Because you said you were not From India in this post: Very confusing.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-next-few-months.2038294/page-4#post-24429568

3.) 20,000 miles isn't even considered a car hardly used yet. You shouldn't be experiencing any issues, not many cars do.

4.) That's great that you like it. It just looks cheap to me. But to each their own.

5.) "Gangster Car"? I don't see the appeal here as a "Gangster" Car. It's a white SUV.

6.) I mentioned it's rugged, which for various terrain, it likely is. But saying it beats all American Trucks doesn't make your statement accurate. Unless you know everything about trucks, which I doubt you do.

I'm not sure why your post is so aggressive/abrasive when this is a thread about completely subjective desires.

Perhaps he lives in Canada and India. Many Indians in the US at least have close ties to India and venture back often.

Toyota has one of the best reliability track records in the world. You might notice Toyota has consistently been at the top of various reliability rankings for at least a couple decades. Every car has at least one weak point or problems with new releases. I would expect the Fortuner to have better reliability than many of the exotic and luxury vehicles posted in this thread. And this is the first I've heard about SUV's not being allowed in this thread. There have been numerous posts of trucks and SUVs, which generally fall under the "car" domain.

I think it's also important to understand that the car market in places like India is very different than the US or Canada. Car taxes are extremely high, especially on imports, and safety and emissions standards are different. Also factor in exchange rate costs and gas prices. It doesn't make sense for Toyota or other foreign automakers to necessarily sell North America-spec cars that unnecessarily drive up the cost further.

For example, in Israel the effective tax rate on a new car is about 100% or more. Gas is also very expensive- $6-7/gal. That's why the best selling cars are tiny Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, etc. By comparison base Toyota Hilux costs about ₪250,000 (₪ = shekel) $60,000 USD. A base RAV4 is about ₪175,000 or $50,000. A Mitsubishi Pajero costs at least ₪300,000 which is roughly $85,000 and considered a very prestigious vehicle. A Land Cruiser (Prado size) costs $90,000-110,000+, which of course is out of most people's price range.

And that brings me to my last point is that different brands and cars have different associated reputations around the world. For example, Buicks in the US are considered old people cars, but in China they are highly desirable. Audi's in much of Europe are considered old people cars, but in the US they are seen as youthful. Mitsubishi is essentially a forgotten brand in the US, whereas in Israel its a popular brand. Minivans are considered soccer mom cars in the US, whereas in other parts of the world they're considered very cool.

In terms of who makes the best SUV's for off-road use, I definitely wouldn't put American SUV's on the top of that list. Unless you want to talk about MRAPs or similar military vehicles not available for civilian purchase. Most of our SUV's are car-based at this point and designed more for comfort and efficiency that off-road capability. Even our body-on-frame SUVs are really designed more for comfort and towing than off-road use. Good luck taking an Expedition or Tahoe off-road. Especially the high trim models with 22" rims and low pro tires. Those things have virtually no articulation and at this point in history ground clearance. Probably the best choices would be the Wrangler and maybe the Grand Cherokee, but FCA/Jeep's reliability is rock bottom these days. The JCG however uses unibody platform which isn't ideal for off-road use or longterm durability off-road.

And who says a gangster can't drive a white car?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
scrambler.jpg

I'd like one of these but they're a bit hard to find in decent shape..

I had planned on building a "new" CJ-7 when I got back to the states but now I'm pondering just putting a diesel in my Jeep..

defender.jpg

OFC I would kick one of these out of bed either :D

Reactions: tcphoto1

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Please restore the original - don't turn her into a muscle car :(

Well, it depends on what you mean by "original" but my plans are to toe the line on something that LOOKS right.

First of all, don't worry, it won't be a muscle car. British sports cars like these were never meant to be fast-they're for carving out the twisty roads. With that said, I've done some very basic work to boost the power of my MGB, and it's welcome especially when you're doing something like pulling out of a curve.

The MGA above(that I own) doesn't have a complete engine-it has a block, head, and a few miscellaneous pieces.

So, with that in mind I've sourced(but haven't bought) an engine pulled from a 1963 MGB. MGB engines were 1800cc, while the largest MGA engine was 1622cc(mine was 1500 originally). They are the same basic B-series block that was a BMC corporate standard engine used in hundreds of different models. The first couple of years of MGB engines used 3 main bearings, like the MGA engines. Later years added two additional bearings. The "3 main" engines are desirable and are described as "free revving" as compared to a 5 main engine.

The 3 main engine will get an AH2923 head off a 73-76 MGB. This is what's known as a "big valve" head, but more importantly it has a smaller combustion chamber volume and raises the compression ratio of the engine from 8.8:1 to 9.5:1. I just did this on my 1970 MGB, and it's a night and day "seat of the pants" difference.

I'll send the head off to a friend to port and polish it. Then, the engine(after boring the cylinders, line boring the bearings, etc) will go back together with an APT VP-11 street performance camshaft.

When it gets dropped in the car, it will have the backplate and flywheel from the original engine in the car to allow it to mate to original MGA transmission(rebuilt). I'll lighten the flywheel a bit, but that's it. It will get the SU H4 carbs(rebuilt) original to the car(I have them), and not HS-4 like an MGB(and certainly not a Weber). It will also get the original Lucas 25D4 distributor with points, although rebuilt and recurved for the engine. I intend to put the original dynamo on the car and wire it positive earth, although admittedly an alternator and negative earth may win out in the long run.

So, that's my plan for the car. Is it original? No. It will, however, increase the stock HP of the car by well over 50%, which will make a significant difference in driveability. Also, even most MG nuts wouldn't notice the changes.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Amen to that - and best of luck with the restauration !

Thanks-and I'm really looking forward to it being finished although it will be a while.

I'm pretty well set on the Old English White(sort of a cream/off white color) with a red interior. White walls will be decided at a later date-part of me says they have no place on a sports car, and another part of me says they look sharp with the white.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Guess this car:

IWJLMOFBQce6P0RQ2brMJw

Any ideas?

It's a Monteverdi Hai 650 F1. I really like the design.

Monteverdi was a small manufacture of high performance supercars. The brand was located in Binningen near Basel, Switzerland. Binningen is only a bit less than 3 miles away from where I live. More informations about this brand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteverdi_(automobile). Unfortunately only a few where built and they are unreachable. 1212 lbs and 650 horsepower. The car is fully made of carbon.

:)

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Guess this car:

IWJLMOFBQce6P0RQ2brMJw

Any ideas?

It's a Monteverdi Hai 650 F1. I really like the design.

Monteverdi was a small manufacture of high performance supercars. The brand was located in Binningen near Basel, Switzerland. Binningen is only a bit less than 3 miles away from where I live. More informations about this brand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteverdi_(automobile). Unfortunately only a few where built and they are unreachable. 1212 lbs and 650 horsepower. The car is fully made of carbon.

:)

Never heard of this one. Funny how most of these supercars end up approximately the same.
Being built in Switzerland (and not Italy), perhaps the Monteverdi's electric wiring still worked after 500 miles :D

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Never heard of this one. Funny how most of these supercars end up approximately the same.

That's the sad faith of most supercar brands. First they usually have a discrete image and most of the people never heard of the brand or have seen any of there cars on the open road. They are often only known by var enthusiast or maybe local people.
Another problem is the economy. The cost for developing and producing these cars with all the high tech components are unbelievable high and the brand is losing money with every car the sell. After a couple of years they declare bankruptcy.:(

Being built in Switzerland (and not Italy), perhaps the Monteverdi's electric wiring still worked after 500 miles :D

I don't think the components like suspension, gearbox and tires are built for endurance racing. Also this car looks in my opinion too good for being hit and scratched by other stock cars. ;)

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Probably cliche... but i really like the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta (even more than the 812 SuperFast or LaFerrari).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.