Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Following suggestions on a different thread, lets post what we are doing in our gardens and greenhouses, and which country you live in etc.

I'm in the UK (Sheffield) and when I moved into this house in 2007 the garden was quite boring and bland..

IMG_2519.JPG

I removed some of the plants and reshaped the lawn & borders and set about re-planting, and added a greenhouse.

Here's my garden now, the top half nearest the house is for the lawn and planting borders, and the greenhouse is down the bottom on the lower level where I also have a garden shed and veg patch, and last autumn I made a small wildlife pond...

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

I've recently purchased a Quadgrow auto watering system for tomatoes etc, I'll post photos when I've set it up, and here's a Vitopod heated propagator I've also purchased...

V.JPG

Last edited:

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I would love to have a garden of my own one day. Yours looks so lush and gorgeous!

What other veg have you been growing besides tomatoes?

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
I'm hoping to see some ideas in here. I'm in a newer subdivision so I mostly have lawn and a few plants out front. I'm cautious because my dog eats plants when he gets the opportunity, but definitely want to add some stuff to the back yard around the fence.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I would love to have a garden of my own one day. Yours looks so lush and gorgeous!

What other veg have you been growing besides tomatoes?

I usually always grow tomatoes and chillis in the greenhouse, and often sweetcorn in the raised bed. This year I have bought tomato and chilli seeds but im also going to be growing plants to put in the garden as Im reducing the size of the lawn and turning it to a planting area.

Reactions: Pilot Jones

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I usually always grow tomatoes and chillis in the greenhouse, and often sweetcorn in the raised bed. This year I have bought tomato and chilli seeds but im also going to be growing plants to put in the garden as Im reducing the size of the lawn and turning it to a planting area.

That's fair. It's always about economizing space for purpose vs aesthetics. I do think it's valuable to strive for a healthy balance and not tilt the scales either way. I'm glad you're attempting to find a balance for your own garden.

Especially in Sheffield. As far as I know, it can get pretty cold & wet up north. I have family in London so I'm usually not up that side, but I have visited enough to know that growing food would require an uphill battle against the climate.

Is there any veg you are planning on growing outside the greenhouse as well?

lessna

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
Ahhh, I just now found your post. Your garden looks really beautiful and it appeals to me. Are you an experienced gardener?:D

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Ahhh, I just now found your post. Your garden looks really beautiful and it appeals to me. Are you an experienced gardener?:D

No, I just enjoy a bit of gardening that's all. Had no interest in the subject until I bought my first house back in 2000.

I've made some changes to my garden this year by creating a new border where the lawn was, as I wanted more plants. I planned this last winter and due to the number of plants needed I grew them all from seed in my greenhouse. All the plants were chosen to attract bees..

g1.JPG

Before..

img_2727-jpg.1946698

Removed the turf and dug it all over, it's 10m x 2.5m...

b1.JPG

Planting up...

b2.JPG

A few weeks later...

b3.JPG

b4.JPG

b5.JPG

Reactions: AlexMaximus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.