Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tidytrev

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Oh the irony...

50% more than $0 is $0. But yes, there is a reason why the PortaPro design hasn't changed in over 20 years - they are just that freakin' good. In any design (portable, in-ear, sealed, etc.) there is nothing in the same price range as the PortaPro that can even come close.

haha yeah my idea of portable is fitting in jeans pockets, but if im going somewhere and i have a bag or long journeys il always take them

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
haha yeah my idea of portable is fitting in jeans pockets, but if im going somewhere and i have a bag or long journeys il always take them

You need bigger pockets ;) I regularily carry my MD, amp & PortaPro with me in various pockets. Though, being Scotland it is always cold so I generally have a coat.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Just got them and they are great.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9392/0815070958vp4.jpg

Kind of big and have a long cord but Good sound.

Grado sr80 they are about $100 but people on the internet say that they sound as good as like $400 headphones

you can also get the sr60 for less.

SR-80s are great! Enjoy them.

And if you ever get hit with upgrade-itis, don't go for the Grado RS series. Go for the SR-225's, much better value IMHO (i've owned both the SR-225's and RS-2's)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
50% more than $0 is $0. But yes, there is a reason why the PortaPro design hasn't changed in over 20 years - they are just that freakin' good. In any design (portable, in-ear, sealed, etc.) there is nothing in the same price range as the PortaPro that can even come close.

Point taken - I guess I should have explained. One of the research tools I use rewards me with points, and those points can be redeemed at a special Amazon.com store. The cost to me is $0, but the number of points required is tied in with the regular cost on Amazon. That being said, if it looks like I will be doing a lot of home listening I will either pick up the PortaPros or save up a bit for some Sennheiser HD-555 Pros.

JudgeDanny

macrumors regular
This isnt my picture, but I own the MS-1 :) I love them and I use them every chance i get :-D

MS-1_small.jpg

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
For that special someone out there...

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    488.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    830.4 KB · Views: 166

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Just got my new Shure SE530's a couple weeks ago. They are my first "In-Ear" style, but so far I'm loving them. The sound is fantastic, they fit my ears great, and the "noise isolation" stuff works really well. Perfect match for my 160GB Classic full of lossless music.

(PS - My bad about the lack of thumbnail earlier)

shurese530ov7.jpg

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Bose In-Ear TriPorts and Quiet Comfort (QC2) 2.

Wow... rechecked this.... In ears were actually given away (with the companions as well) and the QC2s remain my travel option and will soon be replaced by some Sennheiser PXC450s. Bose sucks big time.

Attachments

• p_qc2_l_na.jpg
    p_qc2_l_na.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 128
  • p_triportie_l_b.jpg
    p_triportie_l_b.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 160

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I think I posted my Sennheiser MX90 but I got sick of earbuds so I sold it and got the Sony Noise Cancelling MDR-NC6.

41XY5P1HKKL._AA280_.jpg

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My favourite everyday ones, Koss PortaPro:

koss porta pro_p1.jpg

And then I have a pair of Sennheiser CX-300, black to match my nano, for those times I need sound dampening in-ear-phones:

cx300.jpg

Then there's my third pair, Logitech Sports Crystal, they're all right, but lacks a bit both in sound and comfort compared to the two others. Nice for long rapid walks, though:

1143_1_image.jpg

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Cripes, you realise you can buy Grado SR 125 for that price? They'd sound a shitton better.

Nobody will take Grado's place in the best headphones for IN-HOME listening. If Im not mistaken they proyect some of the sound outside and that helps with their amazing sound, now if your someplace with people I think they wouldn't want to listen to your music do they:p? And even tough their sound is second to none, their ugly as hell.

-Victor

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Nobody will take Grado's place in the best headphones for IN-HOME listening. If Im not mistaken they proyect some of the sound outside and that helps with their amazing sound, now if your someplace with people I think they wouldn't want to listen to your music do they:p? And even tough their sound is second to none, their ugly as hell.

-Victor

Who cares what they look like? They're headphones, they're meant to sound good, not look good.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Who cares what they look like? They're headphones, they're meant to sound good, not look good.

I care, I don't want to look like a World War II radio operator when wearing those headphones. Also they project some of the sound OUTSIDE (that is awesome if your not surrounded by other people) and I wouldn't want someone listening to some sh*tty music next to me be using headphones that project sound in the vicinity (although I have my very very nice noise-canceling headphones so screw sh*tty music played by brats). Just to give you one example my math teacher lets me listen to music in his tests and when I listen to music I usually get better grades; I won't get distracted by outside noises and really "get into" the test. Now, if I had one of those headphones that will produce sound outside the ear-cup while in a test all my classmates and teacher will go nuts.

-Victor

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I care, I don't want to look like a World War II radio operator when wearing those headphones.

Only a person who has never heard how good Grado headphones are would say that. Grado are still one of the BEST headphone manufacturers out there, they don't need to make them look visually good because anyone who buys them knows they are buying quality.

And if any Audiophile out there see you wearing a set like that they know that you know a thing about audio and quality.

I have ATH-AD700 which sounds awesome while my younger brother has the Grado MS-1, seriously a good set of headphones should sound awesome and if they look cool that's a bonus.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Only a person who has never heard how good Grado headphones are would say that. Grado are still one of the BEST headphone manufacturers out there, they don't need to make them look visually good because anyone who buys them knows they are buying quality.

And if any Audiophile out there see you wearing a set like that they know that you know a thing about audio and quality.

I have ATH-AD700 which sounds awesome while my younger brother has the Grado MS-1, seriously a good set of headphones should sound awesome and if they look cool that's a bonus.

They are not one of the best, they ARE the best, Im aware of that. I just said they are ugly. Then again they are for in-home listening.

-Victor

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
They are not one of the best, they ARE the best, Im aware of that. I just said they are ugly. Then again they are for in-home listening.

-Victor

Open backed headphones are not for 'in-home listening' only. As long as you listen at sensible volumes you have no trouble with annoying other people with your music.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
UPDATE: Got these during Apple's Thanksgiving sale and i'm kinda thankful for them...give me peace of mind of not being an easily identifiable mug target, whilst sounding pretty good at the same time

Attachments

• V-Moda.png
    V-Moda.png
    854.9 KB · Views: 171
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.