Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious, is collecting scissors a thing? I've never seen that before. Honestly, I didn't even know you could get scissors hand made like that.

I don't know about collecting them, I just wanted a good pair of scissors and living in Sheffield meant it would be nice to get some made in my home town. The manufacturer Ernest Wright are an old Sheffield scissor making company so decided to buy a pair from them, rather than a generic pair from the supermarket.

This is one of the gentlemen who worked there making them, he's a 'putter' who puts the scissors together..

Old_Factory3.jpg

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
I don't know about collecting them, I just wanted a good pair of scissors and living in Sheffield meant it would be nice to get some made in my home town. The manufacturer Ernest Wright are an old Sheffield scissor making company so decided to buy a pair from them, rather than a generic pair from the supermarket.

This is one of the gentlemen who worked there making them, he's a 'putter' who puts the scissors together..

Old_Factory3.jpg
Ah. That makes sense then. If you can get some killer stuff made locally, I totally get the reasoning. I just thought it was weird I'd never heard of people collecting scissors and then thought that it was just a thing I'd somehow never heard of.. lol.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Ah. That makes sense then. If you can get some killer stuff made locally, I totally get the reasoning. I just thought it was weird I'd never heard of people collecting scissors and then thought that it was just a thing I'd somehow never heard of.. lol.

I don't think it's a scissors thing at all, unlesss I;ve missed it too, rather more like someone buying a nicely crafted knife, or hand tool.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
I don't think it's a scissors thing at all, unlesss I;ve missed it too, rather more like someone buying a nicely crafted knife, or hand tool.
I have friends that collect knives/guns. I don't really "collect", but I did buy two pens that cost around $200. One is titanium, the other is stainless steel and carbon fiber. It's always finding cool, premium tools when it's something you use a lot.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Apple TV 4K. I upgraded my 13-yr-old TV last spring with a Sony Bravia OLED; it's a "smart" TV using the "GoogleTV" OS. The picture is great, but the OS is frustrating as heck; buggy, inconsistent, and every time I hit the Home button it goes to the google home page, not my YouTubeTV streaming home page. I can get there, but not easily. I could go back to my ancient Roku, but it isn't 4K. Finally gave up and ordered the ATV.
Two hours in and I'm impressed. It pretty much set itself up with my iCloud settings, did have to download the YouTubeTV app, but its running fine and I'm figuring out the navigation. I swear the picture is also much better than what I was getting thru GoogleTV, looks like I'm getting HDR now. Anxious to see how the football games look this weekend.
Also got on Apple's website to sign up for 3 mos free AppleTV (since I just bought a device), and I didn't have to check or sign anything, it just opened up on my 'puter, and on the TV now too (watched the first episode of Ted Lasso).
Today is a good day.

Travons

Suspended
Aug 11, 2022
Put together my new triple monitor setup for my sim racing rig. Went with a Sim Lab triple monitor mount and 3x LG 32” 1440p displays. This is awesome

okbM2BH.jpg
Don't know how to feel bout this but its damn great...

Might have something like this built in an empty room at my place next year.
Would show you guys how it went.

Reactions: jazz1 and tekmoe

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego

K12.2. Just ordered.
Love Sweetwater... I just got some packages from sweetwater too. I got the Mono Vertigo gig-bag, and Mono Tick 2.0 bag behind my bass guitar... but what I got this week is this Pedaltrain tour case for my pedalboard. It's a lot bigger than I thought. I'm keeping it, but kind of wish I got the MONO Club 2.0 Accessory Case instead. It's a soft case though... but it would have matched my Mono gig and tick bags.

ptcase.jpg

My pedals aren't cheap... so the tour case would be best for protection. The size of the case on Sweetwater's site didn't look this large.

Reactions: tekmoe

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Love Sweetwater... I just got some packages from sweetwater too. I got the Mono Vertigo gig-bag, and Mono Tick 2.0 bag behind my bass guitar... but what I got this week is this Pedaltrain tour case for my pedalboard. It's a lot bigger than I thought. I'm keeping it, but kind of wish I got the MONO Club 2.0 Accessory Case instead. It's a soft case though... but it would have matched my Mono gig and tick bags.

ptcase.jpg

My pedals aren't cheap... so the tour case would be best for protection. The size of the case on Sweetwater's site didn't look this large.
That's great!! I forgot to mention, I also bought a hard case (TSA certified) for my keyboard, which I'm sure will come in handy. My old case was literally falling apart, so I needed a new one anyway. Plus, that was a frickin' expensive keyboard, so probably should protect it well.

Anyway, I've played through a million K.2 series speakers, and now I'll finally have one, so that's good.

Last edited:
Reactions: erayser

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
That's great!! I forgot to mention, I also bought a hard case (TSA certified) for my keyboard, which I'm sure will come in handy. My old case was literally falling apart, so I needed a new one anyway. Plus, that was a frickin' expensive keyboard, so probably should protect it well.

Anyway, I've played through a million K.2 series speakers, and now I'll finally have one, so that's good.
I'm guessing you have a Nord?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'm guessing you have a Nord?
Nope! I have a Yamaha CP88. I was gonna get a Nord, but I played a Piano 5 and a Stage 3 and the action sucked—the keys were barely weighted! That's great for electronic instruments like organs and electric pianos, but for piano playing (which is what I'm doing), it's awful. If you're a loyal Nord fan reading this... uh... I'm sorry.

Reactions: erayser

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Nope! I have a Yamaha CP88. I was gonna get a Nord, but I played a Piano 5 and a Stage 3 and the action sucked—the keys were barely weighted! That's great for electronic instruments like organs and electric pianos, but for piano playing (which is what I'm doing), it's awful. If you're a loyal Nord fan reading this... uh... I'm sorry.
I play a little keys... but my main instrument electric bass... but I do play with with more than a few keys players that own Nord's. Playing with one this weekend. :)

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I play a little keys... but my main instrument electric bass... but I do play with with more than a few keys players that own Nord's. Playing with one this weekend. :)
Royal Grand 3D and White Grand are the Nord sounds I like. Has all the resonances and key/damper noise in the sample, which is awesome. Action kills it though...

Also, what kind of stuff do you play? Rock?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Royal Grand 3D and White Grand are the Nord sounds I like. Has all the resonances and key/damper noise in the sample, which is awesome. Action kills it though...

Also, what kind of stuff do you play? Rock?
Mainly a cover musician. Long ago I covered top 40, when people payed for live bands. Now I get booked at several churches in my area to play. As far as genre of what I like play... I have no preference... or I can't think of anything I hate to play.

Reactions: rm5

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
No picture because we all know what it looks like.

iPad Air 5 cellular for my 11 year old. Early Christmas present and the vast majority of her Christmas haha. I could only get it because of financing from T-Mobile, I would never have $800 to spend. That’s how I could get my 15PM too. The iPad cost me $90 out of pocket which is still a lot for me, but she’s super good at digital art so I want her to have the best tools that we can afford.

I’m giving her my Apple Pencil 2 because I never really use it. I bought her a case that holds the pen and allows charging. I’ll get monthly AppleCare on it because she is still a kid and kids are rough, although she has been good with her current one, which I think is an Air 2. I’m so excited for her because new tech is always a dopamine rush!

Reactions: kvlq

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022

Old_Factory3.jpg
That’s super cool! I’ve never thought about high quality scissors, very nice.

Reactions: Big Stevie

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Old_Factory3.jpg

One of the many things Britain used to be world famous for and that was steel, specially Sheffield steel, very nice scissors.

Another industry was shoe making, and Northampton used to have over a 100 different companies. Very few are left and perhaps the most famous is Crockett & Jones. That’s a purchase I have my eye on in future, a decent pair of their brogue boots. Expensive but if looked after, will last decades.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Old_Factory3.jpg
Well wear; hand made scissors are a fantastic purchase.

I hadn't known that this was possible in Sheffield.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of the many things Britain used to be world famous for and that was steel, specially Sheffield steel, very nice scissors.
Agreed.

There were (or used to be) similar places in the Czech republic - and in Germany (Solingen) - I have bought superb quality scissors from both places.

Another industry was shoe making, and Northampton used to have over a 100 different companies. Very few are left and perhaps the most famous is Crockett & Jones. That’s a purchase I have my eye on in future, a decent pair of their brogue boots. Expensive but if looked after, will last decades.
Ah, yes.

Agree about the quality.

I have a number of pairs of Church's shoes, some of which are now well over a decade old; they will last (quite literally) decades if re-soled, and re-lined, occasionally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.