Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I thought it would be fun to have a thread with pictures full of rare PowerPC items. The posts don't have to be just about machines. Items like processor upgrades, video cards, or rare peripherals in your collections would be nice to see and document. I'll get us started with two items that I have.

Working Wallstreet battery. I bought a 13" 250mhz Wallstreet 1 a while ago, and the battery was supposedly dead. I ran Battery Reset on it, and it started charging. Under OS 9, I get almost 4 hours of life out of it. I haven't tested it fully under Tiger, as one of my 256mb RAM sticks has died, and Tiger is almost unusable at 384mb of RAM. I'm willing to bet that the machine was never off the charger during its entire life, and that the battery reset was unnecessary, but there you go. Here it is in my PDQ (my 13" has the typical glitchy screen issues, so it's not being used at the moment)-

wsbattery.jpg

Mac Geforce3 video card. I've had nothing but luck with these cards, having owned two of them. The first one I owned, I think I paid $5 for it at the local e-recycler. I traded it off to @bunnspecial for the cost of a brand new SSD a few years ago, as I no longer had my Cube and wasn't using it. The second one I have, I found a post on the Low End Mac Facebook page from a seller who was getting rid of a bunch of parts. I paid $20 for this one, and have since gotten another Cube, so I'm keeping this one. Here it is in my Sawtooth prior to receiving my Cube-

geforce3.jpg

... and in the Cube-

gf3cube.png

(Incidentally, the Cube is running Tiger and Leopard off a 180gb Intel SSD drive in a OWC Mercury Firewire enclosure, with OS 9.0.4 on the original 20gb spinner drive within the Cube. I can't upgrade above this while attached to the Cinema Display for some odd reason, as the display blinks out after extension load, even booted with extensions off. I'm at a loss why, as I've tried everything).

Last edited:

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
IMG_0236_Fotor.jpg

Power Macintosh 6500 motherboard. I bought the 6500 new back in '97 and hot rodded it with a Sonnet 500 Mhz G3, Sonnet SATA PCI card, comm slot ethernet, MOTU PCI audio interface, Apple TV/FM Video system etc...

I want to put a couple SSD drives in it next and see how well it will handle audio/MIDI recording and editing with MOTU Digital Performer v2.7 and MacOS 8.6.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
View attachment 879807

Power Macintosh 6500 motherboard. I bought the 6500 new back in '97 and hot rodded it with a Sonnet 500 Mhz G3, Sonnet SATA PCI card, comm slot ethernet, MOTU PCI audio interface, Apple TV/FM Video system etc...

I want to put a couple SSD drives in it next and see how well it will handle audio/MIDI recording and editing with MOTU Digital Performer v2.7 and MacOS 8.6.

Those purple Sonnet heatsinks make me feel all nostalgic for the days I owned a small army of pre-G3 beige Macs with overpriced upgrade cards.

Your MOTU card literally has the “Mark of the Unicorn”! o_O

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How do you quantify the difference? I'm getting paranoid now...I've tried each release again and again and can't find any improvement over already tweaked prefs.
I have to agree.

I see no speed improvements over my own prefs file. Maybe we are missing something?

Reactions: B S Magnet

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
what's that?
Non multi-core processor G5's did not have integrated Airport/Bluetooth cards (on the rare itself ramp card). For those Macs, Apple shipped a 'T' antenna that screws into a hole on the back of the Mac. That allowed the Airport card to operate normally without the interference of the metal case.

The one I show above came with a PowerMac G5 I used to use (purchased in February 2005). It didn't come with Airport, so there was no need for the antenna. So, I kept it - unopened.

If you look on eBay you can see them going for around $50 or so.

Reactions: bobnugget

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
How do you quantify the difference? I'm getting paranoid now...I've tried each release again and again and can't find any improvement over already tweaked prefs.

Dunno. The scrolling is much smoother. I use IceWeaselPPC almost exclusively, so that might be it. I had never installed the TTF tweaks in IW so maybe that’s the difference I’m noticing. All I know is that it works great, even with a 233mhz Wallstreet, relatively speaking...

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Check out this rare PowerPC stuff I've avidly hoarded over the years.

an iBook G3 500 dev prototype board:
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg

A DVT Dual G4 PowerMac sample CPU + Board:
IMG_0873.jpg

Also have a prototype airport card / airport extreme / DVT PowerMac G5 / VoodooMac 5500: currently up the loft and don't have photos.

And the best for last - Workgroup Server 9150 EVT Board (no CPU):
IMG_2642.jpg

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Check out this rare PowerPC stuff I've avidly hoarded over the years.

an iBook G3 500 dev prototype board:
View attachment 880003 View attachment 880004
A DVT Dual G4 PowerMac sample CPU + Board:
View attachment 880005
Also have a prototype airport card / airport extreme / DVT PowerMac G5 / VoodooMac 5500: currently up the loft and don't have photos.

And the best for last - Workgroup Server 9150 EVT Board (no CPU): View attachment 880006

Unicorns indeed. Thanks for posting these fascinating pieces :)

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016

Im in a similar position. Further testing has shown no improvement in video over using a iOS UA from my limited experiences on my PB. I’ve experienced gains yes, but not to the extent others seem to be enjoying. I’m thinking it’s my low spec powerbook. It might be so slow say comparatively to my pmg5 dc2.0, that Z’s UOC patch may be Rocking out doing its thing but the hardware is just too wimpy to realize solid measurable gains, if that makes sense.

Dunno for sure. I applaud the efforts though - great to see folks rally & gives me something to install on my g5 for comparative analysis over my weekend.

Anyhoo, I don’t think anyone here can top the unicorn with an actual unicorn on it. That’s like next level Sign of the beast stuff. :D

- although Bob’s dev stuff is super cool too :)

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, if you don’t have much a use for it. :)
Well I've had a good look around, but so far can't find it :(

Cheers :)

Hugh
Alright.

I will offer mine - as long as you can use it. It's been sitting in an unopened package for 14.5 years and thus has never been used. Most likely it will continue to sit, doing no one any good.

@B S Magnet, PM me if you still want it.

Reactions: 1042686 and Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Alright.

I will offer mine - as long as you can use it. It's been sitting in an unopened package for 14.5 years and thus has never been used. Most likely it will continue to sit, doing no one any good.

@B S Magnet, PM me if you still want it.
I'm afraid my filing system is more like a pile of odd boxes everywhere in the garage so I'm not surprised the thing hasn't come to light yet ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Further discussion about PowerUOC has been moved to its respective thread so as not to litter this one with such unrelated topics...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I don't have photographs handy, but some possible contenders:

1. 1984 "Macintosh" that appears to have never had a RAM upgrade or anything of the sort

2. Graphics tablet that fits M0001 type(mini-D-sub) Macs

3. Two WORKING HD20s

4. A pair of Radius PrecisionColor Pro 24(one X, one XP) NuBus video cards

5. 700mhz/1mb G4 card for 604e based Macs(I know they get faster, but the 500mhz+ ones aren't super easy to find )

6. Bunches of 128mb EDO DIMMs

7. Sonnet 1ghz/1mb ZIF G4

8. Voodoo 5 5500 PCI GPU

9. 1ghz G3 ZIF(they go up to 1.1ghz, but 1ghz is pretty darn close)

10. Geforce 3-I once had two of them, but the one from the OP is the only one I still have

11. Radeon 9700(dead, @LightBulbFun has it)

12. Radeon X850XT(genuine Mac edition)

13. A real unicorn-a FireGL XT that works in a DA/QS

14. 1.8ghz single for a Cube

15. 2ghz 7448

16. Lombard upgraded to G4

That's just some that come to mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.