Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Hi,

I'm trying to print various documents - word, indesign, photoshop and even text edit, using an epson aculaser c9100. But I'm having MAJOR hassles!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO, SO, SO, SO, SO, SO, SO ANNOYING!!!

Various documents print several pages of code instead of the 1 or 2 pages of beautiful images, writing or whatver else should be there. I have been on the phone to Epson and tried loads of things, printing from other computers to the same printer (which seem to print ok) ((i can also print to other printers ok)), connecting to the network with different wires and wirelessly (incase the connection was dodgy) all with no joy.

I have recently been advised that the code on the print outs is postscript, and because the printer is non postscript this is why it cannot print correctly. I understand this, and so would like to not send postscript stuff to the printer. But I've got no idea where to search in word, indesign etc to uncheck the postscript option.

Please, please, please, please can anyone help me?!?!?!?!?!

thankyou an unbelievable amount for any help!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The first question is: Have you used this printer to successfully print other documents? Another question: Was the printer powered up and ready when you sent the job to it?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
According to the printer specs it does have some emulation although not true level 3 postscript.

Was there any software with the printer that you had to install on your Mac?

Seeing as other computers are printing OK to it, I suspect that this is where the problem will lie.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Misterme:

I have successfully printed docs from several different programmes, infact have successfully printed a couple of a3 indesign docs today (and some unsuccessful a4 sheets of code). This would suggest that there is a setting on some of the indesign files that needs changing, but doesn't explain why I can't print from word etc...

Blue Velvet:

yeh, there was a cd with printer drivers that I have installed, and now deleted (as instructed by epson help centre) and reinstalled downloaded updated driver from their website....with no success, still!!!!!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
BEET said:
Misterme:

I have successfully printed docs from several different programmes, infact have successfully printed a couple of a3 indesign docs today (and some unsuccessful a4 sheets of code). This would suggest that there is a setting on some of the indesign files that needs changing, but doesn't explain why I can't print from word etc...

If you can print from even one program--let alone several--then your have the proper print driver and it is behaving properly. Your problem lies in how you are handling the jobs to that don't print properly.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
BEET said:
I have recently been advised that the code on the print outs is postscript, and because the printer is non postscript this is why it cannot print correctly.
Definitely the best approach is to get the apps to talk to the printer correctly, but if for some reason you can't, here's a potential workaround.

The usual approach to handling postscript where the printer doesn't support it, in cases where the software will only put out postscript or a suitable printer driver is not available is to use GhostScript as an intermadiary. If nothing else, you should be able to redirect your PostScript output to a file and then use MacGSView to view/print/convert it to PDF. You could then use Preview or Acrobat Reader to print the files. (Assuming that works).

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.