Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-POW...5243675401QQcategoryZ4607QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was browsing eBay ( looking for apple posters and stuff actually :eek: ) and come accross this auction. For anyone after a PowerMac for £961 thats pretty astonishing. It looks legit but there are a few things that could be a put off - the person selling is a new user (hmm ok we all have to start somewhere eh?) and the person is also asking for Bank Transfer only. Reasonable i guess (most other methods involve cost to buyer or seller) as long as the seller does not say 'Western Union' then it seems to be a pretty good deal.

However my spider sense is tingling, saying that it could be yet another Scam. It's unbelievable how many scams ive run into on eBay when i started looking for Apple products - they are cat-nip to scammers lol.

EDIT: lol nothing to do with this mac deal as such, but I was pretty supprised to find someone trying to sell a DVD-R with Tiger and Office 2004 on it for £26. Its quite funny.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAC-OS-X-10-4...Z5810121504QQcategoryZ189QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is not the original disk but 100% works the same

Oh right so that would make it illegal lol. Trying to sell pirated software on eBay... gimme a break :p

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
RobHague said:
.... and the person is also asking for Bank Transfer only. Reasonable i guess (most other methods involve cost to buyer or seller) as long as the seller does not say 'Western Union' then it seems to be a pretty good deal.....

looks like a typical scam set-up........that's over $4000 of "New" computer and display they have listed so that current bid falls into the "too good to be true" catagory

and No......bank transfers aren't safer than Western Union........it just means that the scammer has opened opened a bank account somewhere which is easy to do.....wiring money to that account gives you no protection if it's a scam

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
No feedback and actually only joined eBay yesterday...

tg2bt.gif

Run. a. Mile.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Look closely at the photo of the monitor - there are two hands holding it, and is that the top of a head? - wearing a WHITE BASEBALL HAT?! Does that mean chav scum scam ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.