Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Given how underwhelming iOS 9 has been (for me at least), I'm hoping iOS 10 will be more exciting and interesting.

Design-wise, I really hope Apple takes more UI cues from OS X. The design language introduced in Yosemite looks and feels a lot more refined and matured compared to the still-amateurish look of iOS 7+ and while the latest OS X were inspired by the current iOS design language, there is plenty iOS can learn from OS X still such as:

- The icons: While the OS X icons eschewed the excessive glossiness and whatnot, they have still retained their overall distinct and recognizable Apple style in which there is still a certain level of detail and depth with the icons without going too overboard like they did before. But compared to the childish and lazily done iOS icons, there does not seem to be a completely consistent look and feel between the platforms. I am not saying that by redesigning the iOS icons, they have to be completely identical to their OS X counterparts, but they should evoke the same design language. For example, the icons of iOS 6 and below were not always exactly identical to how they looked on Mavericks and below, but they shared and similar look and feel but now there seems to be a greater visual gap between the platforms.

- The buttons: One of the worst aspects of the iOS 7+ UI have been the 90s-style HTML-esque "buttons" which look tacky and poorly designed for a touch-based interface. The buttons on OS X have retained the traditional looking action buttons which are clearly defined and easy to spot out. It's a bit ironic in a sense that a point-and-click interface retains obvious looking actions buttons but not on a touch-based one where it is way more necessary.

- The app windows: In iOS 7+, one of the common complaints about the design was the overall whiteness and I'm glad Apple didn't cary that over to OS X. On OS X, the app windows are a relatively pleasant looking translucent gray which not only enhances the blur effects but creates a better contrast on the display.

Feature-wise, I'm hoping that Apple:

- Completely re-thinks their music app after the ********* that is Apple Music, maybe spin off the streaming service into an optional downloadable app in the App Store and have the default music app look and function the way it did back in past iOS versions (specifically the perfect iOS 6 music app)

- A dark mode
- A social media widget for the Notification Center (if it's part of the OS X notification center, why not iOS?)
- The ability to reject a call on the lock screen (like in iOS 6)

Lastly, Apple needs to restructure the core stock apps and spin them off from the main OS for 2 reasons:

1: So that Apple can continuously improved and refine their stock apps through the App Store without relying on full OS updates.

2: By doing this, all the stock apps are removable (but obviously downloadable through the App Store) so that users who rather use a third party app or just simply wanna save space on their devices can do so.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Gawd, here we go again with yet another "wish list". :rolleyes: Like the election, just another year to go...

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Apple really needs to look into giving the springboard a major update. It's been the same boring grid since iOS 1.

With the introduction of 3D Touch and 3D Touch being the future of iOS, it could really give them the opportunity to really make it something awesome, new and fresh.

Reactions: vertsix

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
When can we put icons wherever we want on the screen? 8 years of iOS and we're still filling up each row one icon at a time. How about more LIVE info in the icons. If they can pull it off with the stupid clock icon why can't the weather app show the current weather?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Oh gods, not another UI revamp already please. It's taken them two major releases of the new UI design to get it usable! iOS previously went six major versions without a UI overhaul. Let's stick with the new UI at least until iOS 12, PLEASE!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1: So that Apple can continuously improved and refine their stock apps through the App Store without relying on full OS updates.

2: By doing this, all the stock apps are removable (but obviously downloadable through the App Store) so that users who rather use a third party app or just simply wanna save space on their devices can do so.

Tim Cook said in a recent interview that they are looking into it. However some of the stock apps can't anytime soon because some are so deeply integrated into iOS that basically both iOS and the apps would need total rewrites. He said some will be much easier than others and that is where they are going to start.

So it's something they are actually working towards. Just don't expect it to be in any nearby update, or even close to all the apps.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Oh gods, not another UI revamp already please. It's taken them two major releases of the new UI design to get it usable! iOS previously went six major versions without a UI overhaul. Let's stick with the new UI at least until iOS 12, PLEASE!

Honestly a major UI revamp could not come soon enough, iOS is really starting to look stale again.

Maybe a complete UI overall isn't needed but a substantial refresh taking design cues from OS X as I had mentioned in my original post.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Tim Cook said in a recent interview that they are looking into it. However some of the stock apps can't anytime soon because some are so deeply integrated into iOS that basically both iOS and the apps would need total rewrites. He said some will be much easier than others and that is where they are going to start.

So it's something they are actually working towards. Just don't expect it to be in any nearby update, or even close to all the apps.

Many of these apps that are now baked in to the OS were originally optional downloads such as: Podcasts, iBooks, Find My Friends, etc. so I have trouble buying Tim Cook's excuses.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly a major UI revamp could not come soon enough, iOS is really starting to look stale again.

Maybe a complete UI overall isn't needed but a substantial refresh taking design cues from OS X as I had mentioned in my original post.
Sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for. Many were asking and hoping for a refresh of what iOS was before iOS 7, but when the iOS 7 design came many of those people weren't all that happy about it. Sometimes change for the sake of change isn't really the best thing. That said, polishing things up and improving them (more or less along the lines of what you mention in the second part of the post) is the better way to go at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.