Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sayhitokyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Tamworth, UK
Hi,

I know there are myriad threads on here about the benefits / drawbacks of different methods of running Windows 10 on a Mac but very few of them relate to the newest models so I’m hoping someone can help.

I’m considering purchasing a new MacBook Air to update from my incredibly old Mac Mini, however as a teacher I need access to a specific piece of Windows software for exam marking (e-marker). For now I just use Bootcamp with a reasonable partition of the 1TB HDD. My question is, with me now downgrading to potentially 128gb (or 256 if I can afford it) onboard storage, is there a way to run Windows without sacrificing a huge chunk of my SSD? Ideally I’d love to use a USB stick rather than external drive for portability.

Has anyone tried this on the new macs yet? Any advice would be really helpful!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I would use a VM in that scenario, rather than bootcamp. With parallels for example, you can assign a maximum size to the VM, but the file on your disk will only be as large as required to store the OS plus its data.

FontGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
I would use a VM in that scenario, rather than bootcamp. With parallels for example, you can assign a maximum size to the VM, but the file on your disk will only be as large as required to store the OS plus its data.
I'd also recommend Parallels. I use it on my 128 GB MacBook Pro's HD, and it works like a charm. I've used it running off external drives/sticks as well, and though it still is smooth, it does take longer to start up and open applications. The Windows 10 OS + a couple extra apps is about 30 GB, but it has a tendency to grow a couple gigabytes a week (because of snapshots that Parallels takes). Every week or so I reclaim that extra disk space from the Configure menu, and the OS size goes back down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.