Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Since you can't replace the iPhone battery I was thinking of another solution. It would be nice to see a case maker come up with some sort of case/charger that would fit around the phone. Basically, a case the phone gets inserted into that has an integrated battery. Obviously, this would increase the bulk and size of the phone but might be handy for those times you need extra juice. I know Belkin makes a charger that attaches to the bottom of the phone and gives you another 3 hours of talk time or so.

Again, not the perfect solution but better than going with no power at all.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
Since you can't replace the iPhone battery I was thinking of another solution. It would be nice to see a case maker come up with some sort of case/charger that would fit around the phone. Basically, a case the phone gets inserted into that has an integrated battery. Obviously, this would increase the bulk and size of the phone but might be handy for those times you need extra juice. I know Belkin makes a charger that attaches to the bottom of the phone and gives you another 3 hours of talk time or so.

Again, not the perfect solution but better than going with no power at all.

Whats wrong with the battery life in the first place I got 14 hours of usage and 1 Day 5 hours of stand by

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
1) It takes a few cycles to get the full capacity.
2) People are bound to do two things:
- Play with their iPhone more than normal as it's new
- Worry about the battery, and thus exaggerate
3) It's been a frickin' day and that poll is based on a great sample of 80 people, all of which are iPhone nuts and will have been hammering the damn things. Read my first post in that thread and tell me that's unacceptable.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
1) It takes a few cycles to get the full capacity.
2) People are bound to do two things:
- Play with their iPhone more than normal as it's new
- Worry about the battery, and thus exaggerate
3) It's been a frickin' day and that poll is based on a great sample of 80 people, all of which are iPhone nuts and will have been hammering the damn things. Read my first post in that thread and tell me that's unacceptable.

Like i said there is nothing wrong with the battery

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
What, like these? (2G, but I bet 3G are on the way).

Ah...exactly!

Also, no need to jump on me. I never stated there was a problem. I'm merely responding to what I've read from other users. I know that people have complained about the inability to swap batteries. Also, it is not speculation, but a fact, that 3G uses power much more rapidly than non 3G devices. Apple says 5 hours of talk time on 3G. That's half (I think) of the original phone's talk time.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
So far, my findings with battery life is that the GPS sucks the power like no tomorrow, as does the 3G... The GPS issue tends to be bad because many of the apps ask to turn on location service, but they don't seem to ever turn it off when you leave the app. You have to turn it back off in the settings manually or it uses the battery without you realizing it.

Unless I'm doing some serious data transfer, I turn the 3G off as well, falling back to EDGE. No point chewing power for 3G if I'm not really doing anything that requires it, right?

I'd like to see a simple app that you could pop up that would turn the various radios on/off quickly (rather than digging through 2-3 pages of settings.)

Hopefully the battery will get better as it gets some cycles on it.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
So far, my findings with battery life is that the GPS sucks the power like no tomorrow, as does the 3G... The GPS issue tends to be bad because many of the apps ask to turn on location service, but they don't seem to ever turn it off when you leave the app. You have to turn it back off in the settings manually or it uses the battery without you realizing it.

Unless I'm doing some serious data transfer, I turn the 3G off as well, falling back to EDGE. No point chewing power for 3G if I'm not really doing anything that requires it, right?

I'd like to see a simple app that you could pop up that would turn the various radios on/off quickly (rather than digging through 2-3 pages of settings.)

Hopefully the battery will get better as it gets some cycles on it.

One thing people are seriously forgetting here is that 3G isn't just data, it's voice as well. Some people may well get better 3G coverage than GSM coverage, so turning 3G off to save battery might not be too smart an idea.

Having said that, I believe that 3G is pretty rare in the States, so over there it probably is the way to go. Pretty much everywhere (except the middle of nowhere) has 3G here, and has done for a few years.

dap1215

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
What's so harda bout plugging the phone into a car charger? :confused: I keep reading and seeing all this crying about the life of the battery.. 2 words.. Car Charger!

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
What's so harda bout plugging the phone into a car charger? :confused: I keep reading and seeing all this crying about the life of the battery.. 2 words.. Car Charger!

Kinda hard to do on an airplane or while you're travelling.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK

7 words... Apple stopped them working with the 3G.

You now have to plug it into 'real' apple charger or a laptop to charge it.

bltobman

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
My phone is chariging in the car as we speak

If you dont know what you are talking about. then dont talk. Car chargers work

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
If you dont know what you are talking about. then dont talk. Car chargers work

Tried it recently? I've tried 3 just today (one bought new today, a waste of money). They don't work - including the one that's built into the car itself that's been working with every ipod I've ever owned.

Work perfectly on the 2G. On the 3G it just comes up 'Charging is not supported' and does not charge. This means you're using battery when in the car, which sucks.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1597845&stqc=true

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Both my car chargers work just fine as well as other connectors

Tried it recently? I've tried 3 just today. They don't work.

Work perfectly on the 2G. On the 3G it just comes up 'Charging is not supported' and does not charge. This means you're using battery when in the car, which sucks.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I just got a Griffin car charger that works perfectly. My old one didn't work (it would indicate that the phone was charging but didn't actually charge the device).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.