Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

assscat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
a) Is the Extra Portable Power Adaptor (as sold at the Apple Store) any different from the stock power adaptor included with the iBook and PowerBook?

b) Are there any cheaper alternative power adaptors?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife has replaced the Power Adapter on her PowerBook. The new one was different form the original stock.

It is always smart to purchase a power adapter that is made by the manufacturer of the product in question.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
wdlove said:
My wife has replaced the Power Adapter on her PowerBook. The new one was different form the original stock.

It is always smart to purchase a power adapter that is made by the manufacturer of the product in question.

However, there are third party adapters that sell for slightly less. So, the answer to the OP's questions are

1) Maybe in form, but not in functionality.

2) Yes, but of questionable quality.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
assscat said:
a) Is the Extra Portable Power Adaptor (as sold at the Apple Store) any different from the stock power adaptor included with the iBook and PowerBook?

At least on the previous revisions, the iBook & PB had different power adapters, with the iBook being 45W and the PB being 65W.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I actually have a similar question that has been in the back of my mind. I just ordered a new 15" Alubook, and I just kind of assumed that my old ti batteries would be incompatible with the new PowerBooks, right?

Ph4lynx

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
University Place
there are actually two different versions of the standard apple powerbrick for laptops, one 65W version and one 45W version
either will work for any of the compatible apple laptops but the 65W will charge a little bit faster, but i dont know what using either charger will do to your long term battery life.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Ph4lynx said:
there are actually two different versions of the standard apple powerbrick for laptops, one 65W version and one 45W version
either will work for any of the compatible apple laptops but the 65W will charge a little bit faster, but i dont know what using either charger will do to your long term battery life.

That's not completely true. Here's the link to the Apple support site that talks about power adapter selection:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88231

Basically, if you have a computer that originally used the 65W adapter (mostly the 15" and 17" PB G4), they say you should NOT use the 45W adapter.
However, if you have a computer that shipped originally with a 45W adapter (e.g. iBook), then you can use EITHER the 45W or 65W adapter.

Hope that helps!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
AstrosFan said:
That's not completely true. Here's the link to the Apple support site that talks about power adapter selection:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88231

Basically, if you have a computer that originally used the 65W adapter (mostly the 15" and 17" PB G4), they say you should NOT use the 45W adapter.
However, if you have a computer that shipped originally with a 45W adapter (e.g. iBook), then you can use EITHER the 45W or 65W adapter.

Hope that helps!

(^^^The linked document cannot be found)

I'm resurrecting this thread because I bought a spare power adapter at the Apple store yesterday (Apple 65W Portable Power Adapter - model #M8943B/A). It seemed to be the only one available and the box says "compatible with PowerBook G4 computers and iBook computers that have two USB ports". I asked the sales guy if it was the right one for my PB and he said yes but I just want to be absolutely sure. The one that shipped with my 12" PowerBook (latest revision) is a 45W adapter.

Is it DEFINITELY ok to use??!! Sounds like it is according to the post above, but i want to be 100% sure before i plug it in and start frying stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.