Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterhaunted604

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
So I am trying to hook up some monitors...they are a little old but they were free so I am trying to make it work. The only connection option is the red/black wire and I was told I would need a power amp to hook up to my Imac. My question is, is there any brands/models I should look out for? Also I am looking at buying a mic pre-amp...this may be a dumb question but is there such thing as a power amp-mic pre-amp combo on the market?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

danhig123

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
Hey,

Well, if you did find some wierd mic pre/power amp combo, the mic pre wouldn't have any real quality too it. A mic pre amp and a power amp are two devices that really live at oposite ends of the signal chain.

Hmmm power amps. Make sure you buy one that has the correct impedence in relation to your speakers. For example if your speakers have an impedence of 8 Ohms make sure your power amp matches that. I would go for a trip down to your local hifi shop for that one.

In terms of mic pre's - how much are you looking to spend? Focusrites are pretty nice, but there are loads of manufacturers out there, all with different levels of sound quality. If you are using it to connect to your mac, have you thought of getting one with an A/D converter built in? That would be a good idea as I would imagine the A/D conversion in the Mac won't be all that hot.

Danny

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
danhig123 said:
If you are using it to connect to your mac, have you thought of getting one with an A/D converter built in? That would be a good idea as I would imagine the A/D conversion in the Mac won't be all that hot.
Danny

I second that. The A/D converter in the iMac sucks and most firewire or usb A/D converters you will be looking into have a built in mic pre-amp anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.