Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdcarver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I've seen speed comparisons, but has anyone documented any differences between the power consumption of a 1TB vs a 2TB SSD on a M1 MacBook Pro (14" 10/24 processor)? Similarly, is there power consumption data for 32GB vs 64GB RAM?

kdcarver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Would be too little difference to matter or might be even too little to be able to measure it
Thanks, but that's not what I asked. I asked if there was any documented data on the differences.

kdcarver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I assumed that a 1TB drive will use less power at idle than a 2TB because it has less memory to keep powered up. This assumption seemed to play out when I called Apple (sales) and asked if there was a difference in power consumption between the two drives. The representative put me on hold for a bit, then returned with an answer: 2.6W for 1TB, 4W for 2TB. That's about a 1.4W, or about 50% increase in consumption. She didn't tell me where she got that information, but if I accept it as true, and I have a battery that's still at it's peak 70 Wh life, with no other loads (unreal, but I'm isolating a component) a 1TB drive will drain that battery in 70/2.6 = 26.9 hrs. A 2TB will take 70/4 = 17.5 hrs.

Would love to see the difference measured in real life.

Reactions: moka

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I've seen speed comparisons, but has anyone documented any differences between the power consumption of a 1TB vs a 2TB SSD on a M1 MacBook Pro (14" 10/24 processor)? Similarly, is there power consumption data for 32GB vs 64GB RAM?
None. These chips are rated at same power reqs due to their connection standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.