Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swordfish86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
HI,
Does anybody use or know anything about UPS's (not the delivery company) for your computer?
had a power-cut yesterday that obviously resulted in my mac switching off without shutting down, this dosent happen v often at all as we have reliable electric in my area, but just got me thinkin weather its worth pickin up 1 of these, just incase.
I have a good belkin surge protector at the mo, is this good enough protection do u reckon?

i have done hardware check, verify disc & permittions ect and all seems fine, does this mean the power cut has had no damage, just want confirmation lol

:D
cheers

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I used to live in a house that had some waky wiring issues. Basically if you had too many appliances on, the main fuse would bail. I ended up getting one of these (an APC 1200), and I haven't regretted it.
At work (in the lab), pretty much all the computers are hooked up to one of these.
I'd say, if you care about your machine, and the data that's on there, get one. Yes, it's ~$200. Think about how much a new HD or (god forbid motherboard) would cost.

swordfish86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
thanks for that, i have found one for $155 which sounds ok, i might order one.
will this be compatable with the mac pro, as i has heard about a few issues with usp's

do u reckon my mac is ok then, just a little paranoid lol :eek:

i supposed ur alloed to be wen you spend so much money

thanks

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
Indeed, a UPS is a nice insurance policy, particularly if your power grid may not be the most...reliable.

There have indeed been problems with the Mac Pro and UPSs, namely that if your mac pro is asleep and the power goes out, the UPS software wakes the machine back up in order to shut it down properly, but this causes a spike in power demand and forces to UPS to quit altogether (not much better than just losing power altogether is it). I'm not positive where I read all these descriptions, but I believe the cure is just to invest in a heavy duty UPS that can handle the 1kw power supply on the Mac Pro.

Unfortunately this can be expensive, and also remember that you'll need to replace the battery once every 1-2 years, because the machine will actually be running off the battery all the time in order to separate it from the grid.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
We have one on every computer in our office.

Get one. Just make sure it has enough power for all of your components

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I have three APC BACK-UPS ES 8 Outlet 500VA 120V in my home office with all my PCs, Macs, printer, router, switch and DSL modem connected. When the power goes off I just keep on running, Internet connection and all (up to 5 minutes and then I run out of battery juice). :cool:

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I want to know I got a 20 dollar UPS from Office Depot or Office Max during the black friday but when the lights go out the thing shuts off not letting me to turn off the computer. The only think hooked up is the Apple computer.

I dont know how these things work but the machine said based on my watt consumption it would last about 2-3minutes.

We also got one just for plasma TV and that didnt work so great.

I know I missing something but I dont know what?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I want to know I got a 20 dollar UPS from Office Depot or Office Max during the black friday but when the lights go out the thing shuts off not letting me to turn off the computer. The only think hooked up is the Apple computer.

I dont know how these things work but the machine said based on my watt consumption it would last about 2-3minutes.

We also got one just for plasma TV and that didnt work so great.

I know I missing something but I dont know what?
Did you plug it into the right ports? There is sometimes two sets of outlets on it. Some surge, some battery backup. Also if you have a mac pro a $20 thing will not handle the wattage. What UPS is it? and what mac do you have?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Spend more for something with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) -- instead of a pure battery backup.

It'll help protect against the more damaging power problems under/over volt situations.

Which are more likely in the high power demand times than the power just going out -- and likely to creep by a plain battery backup and shut the machine down anyways.

---

So that $20 UPS mentioned above will likely be useless as any real protection.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Did you plug it into the right ports? There is sometimes two sets of outlets on it. Some surge, some battery backup. Also if you have a mac pro a $20 thing will not handle the wattage. What UPS is it? and what mac do you have?

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=281456

Ok what are some examples of AVR (automatic voltage regulation)

since the Office Depot employee on black friday mention this is basic enough for Mac pro which I was sadly disapointed.

Can i have some samples to maybe get better UPS

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Heck I don't even think 300W is enough for the Mac Pro ... maybe enough for the LCD display, not both.

If you are using it and the thing isn't squealing about an unbalance load, I'd worry.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Do Not plug a printer into a UPS. Especially a laser printer, they draw way too much amperage.

Think about it -- if the lights are out, are you really concerned about printing, or about having an extra 5 minutes runtime to save your work and shut down.

Only plug into the UPS the items you absolutely have to have to do an orderly shut down; Yes to external hard drives and possibly networking equipment (routers, hubs, NAS) No to scanners, printers, pencil sharpeners, etc.
Server machines should have their own, dedicated UPS with nothing else attached.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=281456

Ok what are some examples of AVR (automatic voltage regulation)

since the Office Depot employee on black friday mention this is basic enough for Mac pro which I was sadly disapointed.

Can i have some samples to maybe get better UPS

The mac pro has a 12amp power supply. BUt it doesn't use most of that. http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/macpro/benchmarks.html if you scroll down it shows power consumptions. Looks like it it might just squeeze under the 300 watt mark. But not when turning on or waking from sleep. I would not get anything smaller then a 500 watt for the mac pro.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
And keep in mind that "500 VA" != 500 W

Buy more capacity than you need, not less.

The cheap "office store" models are worse than useless - they will cause more crashes than they save.

Also remember - the sealed lead-acid batteries inside these things need replacing every 2 - 4 years. Look for a model with readily available batteries.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You'll find the Mac Pro likely is a hog, needing a 1500VA or bigger UPS. And 1200VA at a minimum if it has a decent W output.

300W is good enough for the LCD, the Mac Pro and a display are likely needed in the 750-800W range.

People have complained that the Mac Pro trips 900VA UPSs. So they were looking at the 1500VA range.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I use a APC 750VA 500W UPS

750VA-500watt.jpg

It's part of their "Pro" line. I use it for the Mac Pro and my RAID. never has failed me. APC is a great company and I have gotten some good help from them. You have to be careful when looking at their more consumer grade UPSs as sometimes they do not provide the right about of power for your load balance. I think it's a good investment to move up to there Pro line. I got this guy for $200 used...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.