Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesaja

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
Lichtenstein
Hei!

I've heard (where, I don't remember) that you could manually power down one core of the MBP to save power when on the road.
Now that I got my 'Book today (yay - I recieved it as a replacement for a 15"Powerbook!) I've looked for it, then searched google. etc - and nowhere I can find anything how to do it...

So - does it work? And if yes - how?

Thanks a lot, greets,

jojo

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well Im sure there is another way, but if you insert the install disk and install the CHUD tools, it will allow you to do this. I just did the custom install and just installed the CHUD tools.

It will add another option in your System preferences called Processor , and you can put an icon in the menu bar. Thats what I did.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
So what kind of battery life are you getting with one core instead of two? I'd be interested to see your results with one core and two.

jesaja

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
Lichtenstein
Koodauw said:
Well Im sure there is another way, but if you insert the install disk and install the CHUD tools, it will allow you to do this. I just did the custom install and just installed the CHUD tools.

It will add another option in your System preferences called Processor , and you can put an icon in the menu bar. Thats what I did.

Wow - that was a fast answer! Thanx a lot! I'll try that. Didn't hink of installing additional things off the DVDs yet...:rolleyes:

jojo

PS: well - I just have it for 5 hours now, so... *jumping*

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
Koodauw said:

Besides battery life, is there any reason you would want to power down one core? I am assuming this would slow all processes?

Just wondering as I am very new to the Core Duo technology (so I should probably read some more before asking these questions:) )

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
What choices are available in Energy Saver>Options on the MBP? (Meaning like, most laptops have Auto, Highest, Reduced.)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Aramis said:
Besides battery life, is there any reason you would want to power down one core? I am assuming this would slow all processes?

Just wondering as I am very new to the Core Duo technology (so I should probably read some more before asking these questions:) )
battery life is pretty much the only reason, except possibly heat issues which sort of goes with battery life.

jesaja

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
Lichtenstein
yeah - it works! (Though it was not so easy to find - didn't know these belong to the XCode Tools)
By the way - the monitoring panel is really cool. And the ability to switch off one core with one single click! :D

jojo

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
jesaja said:
you could manually power down one core of the MBP to save power when on the road.

There are mixed reports about the results of doing this. On PCs, it actually puts extra load on the remaining core such that operations take more than twice as long as with both cores up and thus battery life is negatively impacted. I suggest performing some benchmarks/tests to confirm that battery life is actually extended by powering down one core.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I wonder if some folks think that the second core is a second, full-sized processor sitting in their MBP, and that by turning it off they'll save 50% of the processor power. :confused: :eek:

jesaja

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
Lichtenstein
aristobrat said:
I wonder if some folks think that the second core is a second, full-sized processor sitting in their MBP, and that by turning it off they'll save 50% of the processor power. :confused: :eek:

Hey - I'm not stupid. But away from power outlets I'm trying to squeeze out every single minute of my notebook. And so I wanted to try this, too.

And yes - It brings me only about a quarter of an hour, but hey - better than nothing. And 'on the road' I don't need the 'extra power' of the second core, even the first idles ;) around at ~10-20 %...

jojo

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
AlexH said:
So what kind of battery life are you getting with one core instead of two? I'd be interested to see your results with one core and two.

According to Tom's hardware there's virtually no difference. The processor is not the only piece of hardware that's drawing power..

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
jesaja said:
Hey - I'm not stupid. But away from power outlets I'm trying to squeeze out every single minute of my notebook. And so I wanted to try this, too.
Fair nuf! Definately didn't mean to imply that you were stupid. Sorry if you took it that way. :)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Another reason you might do this is as a developer to see the performance of your app on a slower system.

That said I have also heard that powering down one core has negligible impact on the battery.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
yippy said:
Another reason you might do this is as a developer to see the performance of your app on a slower system.

That said I have also heard that powering down one core has negligible impact on the battery.

In my case, this is true... I have seen the battery life remain about the same with one or two cores.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
I want to disable the second core to reduce the heat that is coming from the ALU! Since I mostly use the laptop for typing, the second core is of little value to me, usually.

Does anyone have any experience with reducing heat by disabling the 2nd core?

And I sure could use a pointer to installing the CHUD and getting the talk about option.

I tried downloading the chud from APPLE and after installing had NO options to disable or anything new in the System preferences.

TIA:D

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
I am using an iMac, but it doesn't to seem to make a difference. Also, It says it is using a Pentium M:confused: ? What the hell. Probably is the closest processor. So thats why the MBP gets so hot...its a pentium:D But the CPU NOISE actually decrease. to MBP users, disable one core.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Grokgod said:
Does anyone have any experience with reducing heat by disabling the 2nd core?
I think I've seen some posts where folks said that running with just 1 core causes that core to run higher/hotter than when the load was distributed over 2 cores.

I'll see if I can find that post...

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
For all of you that think shutting down one of the cores will give you extra battery time, you are WRONG.

One of the best features of the Intel Core Duo chips is that it is ver efficient in conserving power. By shutting down a core, you are taking away that ability from the processor.

When I shut down a core, my battery time remaining instantly drops by about 40 minutes. Obviously, not a smart thing to do.

dialo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
Although it's counterintuitive, using only 1 core will make it run hotter and reduce battery time. I don't know why, but that's what happens. I installed CoreDuoTemp and found that the temp was higher with only one core and you can read here for battery tests that show that it reduces battery time.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Just a warning before powering down: You will be degraded to around 1.2 GHz Core Solo instead of 1.83-2.16 GHz Core Duo. This will make it even slower than the Mini... Though it will save a lot of battery.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
It doesnt save battery time, as a matter of fact it killed my battery time, but it ran cool enough to sit on my lap with nothing underneath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.