Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajryan4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
Nice, France
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to diagnose a power issue with my mid-2011 MBP 13" and am running out of ideas. I don't want to take it to the apple store yet because I have a feeling they'll just do everything that I've done already and then try to replace the battery, which I can do myself. So, I figured I'd see if any of you have any other ideas before I do a replacement :)

Behavior: The battery seems to simply discharge very quickly, and I think it is getting worse. From full charge, it now only lasts about 2 hours with normal to heavy usage (word processing, internet videos, etc) and far shorter with heaviest usage (~45 minutes). When I plug in the power adapter, the battery likewise seems to charge very quickly, consistent with the battery having a very low capacity.

Things I've tried:
1. SMC reset (a few times)
2. Battery recalibration by doing a full charge/discharge (a few times): sometimes this seems to help a bit but I could just be imagining it.
3. Removing and visually inspecting the battery. No problems. I've had battery bulge issues before but not this time.
4. In general, I'm pretty judicious about using computer unplugged to run the power down before fully recharging, rather than just working constantly with it plugged in.

Battery info:
Cycles: 112
Full charge capacity: 6163 mAh
Manufacturer: NewerTech, <2 yrs old.
My magsafe adapter is also <1 year old.

Perhaps the battery is truly a dud?

Thanks!

-Andy

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Verify for us that your new-ish Magsafe charger is from Apple and not made by a third party.

If your replacement battery lasted longer than its warranty then I suppose, technically, it's not a dud! Unfortunately, it does sound like it's kaput.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The battery that's inside now is a replacement of the original, is this correct?

If that's the case, be aware that "replacement batteries" often do not "last" anywhere near the factory-installed batteries.
They "give up their ghosts" sooner.

I'll guess that what you need is another battery.

Also -- don't "run the power down" ALL the way before recharging.
I'd plug the charger in around 15-20%, or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.