Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkinnyMoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Hello, I when I walk away from Mac, it appears to disconnect networking, how do I fix this bug? There is no way Apple or any company would actually program it that way on purpose, that would be the worst feature I have ever seen in any operating system including Win 3.1. I only use ethernet, WiFi disabled. How does this glitch happen and how do I repair it?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Need significantly more information to even attempt to offer an explanation or solution to this issue:

* Mac Model (specs)
* OS
* What ethernet adapter?
* Any background software running
* If an error message appears, what is it?
* Any relevant error log entries which are connected to the drop in internet.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Your Mac going to sleep? In that case it's not a bug, it's the default behavior.

You can turn off sleep or set the Mac to wake on network access, but that hasn't worked reliably for me, so I disable sleep.

SkinnyMoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Need significantly more information to even attempt to offer an explanation or solution to this issue:

* Mac Model (specs)
* OS
* What ethernet adapter?

Your Mac going to sleep? In that case it's not a bug, it's the default behavior.

You can turn off sleep or set the Mac to wake on network access, but that hasn't worked reliably for me, so I disable sleep.
I would like the Mac to fall asleep after 30 minutes, lock the screen, require a password to login, turn off display, but keep networking on, and apps using networking on. I already have Mac wake on network access, but this problem persists.

SkinnyMoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022

* Mac Model (specs)
* OS
* What ethernet adapter?
Mac Mini 2020 M1, Ventura 13.5, the normal Ethernet port. This problem happens regardless of which or any applications running. No error messages, just apps that do not appear to have internet for that exact amount of time my Mac is asleep.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you really need sleep?
Your System Settings/Lock Screen will let you do what you want, I think.
Easiest way forward would be to let lock screen work (there's settings there for that) requiring password to unlock (time delay setting for that), also turn off screen after some time delay that you would choose.
that can be done without sleeping, if you wish.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
This happens when you put a windows system to sleep as well. If you want your system to stay active disable sleep and lock the screen when you leave.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
This happens when you put a windows system to sleep as well. If you want your system to stay active disable sleep and lock the screen when you leave.
Yep, that's how Windows does it too, and I second just turning off sleep, it's the only way for it to be reliable if you want to access it via the network.

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
Hello, I when I walk away from Mac, it appears to disconnect networking, how do I fix this bug?
How do you determine that it is disconnected?

I have a Mac Mini M1. Whether it is connected with ethernet LAN cable or via WiFi, I can always connect back to my Mac.

One oddity I found is that I will have to (usually) first SSH into my Mini first to wake it up, if it is sleeping. After that I will be able to connect to it via VNC or SMB. If it goes into sleep mode, apparently only SSH will wake it up.

And it seems that SSH access will be disabled if the Mac is not logged in before it goes to sleep. Probably a security thingy.

SkinnyMoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Thank you, I kept lock timer enabled, but disabled sleep timer. I did not know those were different, no technician or apple support agent in the last 30 years ever told me that. Thank you it works now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.