Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xnthvtc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
I have a Power Mac that I'm trying to install an OS on, but for some reason every time I boot into one of my many install disks, it either stalls and then displays an icon of a ripped folder, or shows me a loading screen indefinitely. (The latter happens mostly with 10.x versions) So my immediate reaction was to insert the hardware diagnostic disk that came with the system. I did that, but the computer is barely responding to any mouse or keyboard input. The only time the mouse and keyboard were fully responsive is when I booted to an OS 9.2 install disk, but I want nothing to do with that disk.

This disk also happens to be the only one the computer is able to boot into. When it boots to the diagnostic disk, I have limited navigation across the UI using the arrow keys but the mouse seems completely unresponsive. I say it seems unresponsive because the cursor will not move, no matter what port its plugged into or if there are multiple things plugged in. But when an option is selected using the arrow keys, and I left click in the place where the mouse is stuck, it switches the focus to the desktop, demonstrating that the mouse is detected but the cursor is refusing to move.

I suspect it probably has something to do with drivers, but what's interesting is the keyboard and mouse show signs of life when they're plugged in before the computer is powered on, but if they are plugged in after the computer has already booted, they're completely unresponsive. The mouse laser doesn't even turn on.

I'm at a loss.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
a) there is something broken with the computer

b) either your mouse or kbd is broken and sends so much garbage that it will cripple the system

for b) just try different mouse/kbd

for a) remove the HD (as these can fail in a few funny ways at that age), clean the computer from the inside and have another go.

Symptoms may also point to a failing PSU, which can be replaced with an ATX one but that should be the last resort.

xnthvtc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
a) there is something broken with the computer

b) either your mouse or kbd is broken and sends so much garbage that it will cripple the system

for b) just try different mouse/kbd

for a) remove the HD (as these can fail in a few funny ways at that age), clean the computer from the inside and have another go.

Symptoms may also point to a failing PSU, which can be replaced with an ATX one but that should be the last resort.
Thank you for your response, but I don't think any of those options are the issue. I'm sorry for not mentioning this, but I did test multiple keyboards and mice after the initial ones didn't work. As for internal hardware, the hard disk was replaced after I received the computer, as well as the power supply, RAM modules, and fans, so I have reasonable doubt that they are causing issues, but I will test the power supply sometime tomorrow to check that it's functioning properly. The hard disk also shows no signs of being dysfunctional.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Removing the HD would make sure that whatever install media you are using should boot (assuming it is compatible with the MDD) doesn't get confused by some weird partitioning that might have happened there.

Also, if there is a CMOS battery (should be a small barrel type), remove that as it will set everything to default and a slight undervoltage here could have caused data corruption.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Mac OS 9 is nowhere near as picky with stuff as OS X. I found that out the hard way on my iMac. A bad RAM stick, as was the case with one of my G3 iMacs, will work in OS 9, but will make OS X fuss like a toddler denied candy. It's just because OS X is very picky when it comes to stuff.

There IS something busted in there and I'd likely start with RAM, as that is the easiest solution. After that, it's a matter of trial and error.

Wild Hare

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2021
After the installation of a new HD and RAM…
- have you reset the PMU / PRAM?

And which version of OS X are you attempting to install?
Had an MDD here that simply would not accept OS 10.4
- even though it did allow OS 9 installation.

If you do not have the original System Install discs, you
may have to use one of the earliest versions of OS X.

Say OS 10.2 perhaps… and then build from there?

xnthvtc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
After the installation of a new HD and RAM…
- have you reset the PMU / PRAM?

And which version of OS X are you attempting to install?
Had an MDD here that simply would not accept OS 10.4
- even though it did allow OS 9 installation.

If you do not have the original System Install discs, you
may have to use one of the earliest versions of OS X.

Say OS 10.2 perhaps… and then build from there?
I have reset the PMU and PRAM at some point, but it was probably like 4 months ago. I tried installing 10.0, and 10.2, both of which just left me with an error screen.

Wild Hare

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2021
You’ve not specified which MDD or CPU… but there is this download:

Which mouse / mice and what keyboards? All Apple brand? If you’ve been plugging the mouse into the keyboard, try plugging the mouse into the back of the machine instead.

And nothing other than the bare necessities attached. No extra PCI cards (only video) no other expansion cards or external drives, peripherals or wired network connections. BARE BONES only. No thumb drives or other USB connected items.

Check all ribbon cable connections (unplug and re-plug) and snug all motherboard mounting screws. Have you cleaned and replaced the heatsink paste? If not, remove the heatsink and snug the CPU mount screws too when replacing the paste. Remove all but one stick of RAM and attempt to boot, and then possibly install OS.

Airport card present? If so, take it out until you get a stable booting machine. AND inspect all ribbon cables, especially as they cross the door hinge, looking for scrapes, tears and any abrasions.

I don’t like to harp about this but these machines are old and all contacts can become tarnished, oxidized, etc. and often lose good connection - so occasionally things need be cleaned. How long has the machine sat dormant?

And even if you want absolutely nothing to do with OS 9… IF you can install OS 9 successfully and regain full keyboard and mouse operation… that might help to eventually determine what other possible hardware problems you could actually have / before attempting installation of any OS X version. Just be sure to dual partition your HD to allow a partition for OS X afterwards.

And yes, PMU and PRAM again… especially if you have made various changes to the machine in the last four months. “the hard disk was replaced after I received the computer, as well as the power supply, RAM modules, and fans” Jumper on the HD set to Cable Select? Sounds like quite a lot has been changed.

IF you can get it to successfully install OS 9 and boot… then you can begin adding RAM back into the machine, one stick at a time, testing operation as you go.

Best of luck and happy hunting.;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
For OS X, boot with Cmd-V to get detailed boot messages. If it's stopping at the same place each time then those details can help to track it down.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.