Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I noticed that my mac mini on m2 is starting to lag a little bit and my mouse started to work jerkily. I switched off the electricity in the whole room and then switched it back on and my mac started working smoother. the thing is that my mac mini has a 220 volt 10A adapter, while the mac socket itself is 250 volts and 6A, I connect my mac to a surge protector that supports 250 volts and 16A to the socket, but I don't know how many volts and amers it is.

please check how many volts and amps your socket supports and if it makes any difference at all? otherwise i can't explain the mac's glitches

(I have reinstalled the system many times, it is completely clean, no software problem)

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
On the amperage if you were drawing more than the socket is fused for (6 amps) the fuse would blow rather than not provide enough current, so the amperage shouldn’t be a problem.
the voltage should be fine as the power supply has a voltage regulator to handle the 220-240V voltage ranges around the world.
I suspect the problem lies elsewhere

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Couple of suggestions you may have already considered:

Check activity monitor for anything that is causing any strain on the computer.

If the mouse is Bluetooth/wireless, is the connection to the Mac not very strong or low on battery?

Couple of thoughts.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Former EE here. That will have no affect on your computer whatsoever. The power supply will deliver as much power as it needs to the right bits of the computer. What goes into it doesn't matter as long as it's around 90-260v. It'll pull as much current as it needs to.

There might be a RF interference or earthing problem in your house though interfering with the bluetooth mouse though. Try a wired one and see if the problem goes away.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
Do you have anything plugged into the usb a ports on the Mac mini?

The Bluetooth transmitter is nearby, and many users have noted that at times high activity through the usb a ports may cause interference with Bluetooth devices.

Note: Typing at the same time as AlmightyKang

Reactions: AlmightyKang

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Couple of suggestions you may have already considered:

Check activity monitor for anything that is causing any strain on the computer.

If the mouse is Bluetooth/wireless, is the connection to the Mac not very strong or low on battery?

Couple of thoughts.
thanks for the suggestions, yes I checked all that, the system is clean and nothing in activity monitor is causing any load on cpu, gpu, RAM or writing/reading to disk

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I have a steelseries rival 3 wired mouse. I also plugged in a few others, disconnected the keyboard, disconnected everything from the usb ports, leaving only the mouse or keyboard to open tabs in chrome or groups in launchpad, as a result tabs run at 30fps (no, this is not a chrome problem, all browsers work like this except safari, but scrolling jerks there), groups in launchpad open with fps dropping to about 25fps, just don't tell me this is normal for a mac with this kind of power.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Former EE here. That will have no affect on your computer whatsoever. The power supply will deliver as much power as it needs to the right bits of the computer. What goes into it doesn't matter as long as it's around 90-260v. It'll pull as much current as it needs to.

There might be a RF interference or earthing problem in your house though interfering with the bluetooth mouse though. Try a wired one and see if the problem goes away.
I didn't write that I have a bluetooth mouse.

My socket seems to be 220v, but the mac plug says 250v, so it needs about 250v. is it so?

Last edited:

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
Standard voltages are 110 and 220. The 250V rating effectively says that your Mac will operate just fine if the line voltage is a bit high.

When you said things were laggy and jerky, I think we all assumed you were having issues with input controls. The mini is known to have some Bluetooth quirks. So, that’s where we start, especially since few users use wired peripherals these days.

I know you don’t want to hear it, but what you are experiencing seems to be normal for a Mac. There are a few active threads with folks complaining about similar issues with scrolling in windows and such being jerky. Any video I’ve seen posted to illustrate the problem looks like my everyday Mac experience over the last 20 years or so.

It’s definitely not overwhelming the gpu. It’s likely a software issue with various tasks dealing with input, redraw, and screen refresh rates drifting in and out of phase with one another.

Reactions: Chuckeee

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I didn't write that I have a bluetooth mouse.

My socket seems to be 220v, but the mac plug says 250v, so it needs about 250v. is it so?
It doesn't matter. If its' under around 275V it will have zero material difference to your situation.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
It doesn't matter. If its' under around 275V it will have zero material difference to your situation.
I turned off the electricity in the apartment, then turned on and started the mac - it started working more smoothly, so what's the matter if not electricity? maybe it's a monitor problem? were all 3 monitors that I tried faulty?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Which Mini, specifically, do you have?
How much RAM do you have?
How are the displays connected?

My GUESS is that with 3 displays, you're overloading the Mini's video capabilities, and some of this may also be affecting VM disk swapping, thus "slowing things down" in BRIEF bits 'n' jerks.

The electricity voltage probably has nothing to do with it.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I restarted my mac a few times and it started running very smoothly, what could be the problem? the monitor?

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Which Mini, specifically, do you have?
How much RAM do you have?
How are the displays connected?

My GUESS is that with 3 displays, you're overloading the Mini's video capabilities, and some of this may also be affecting VM disk swapping, thus "slowing things down" in BRIEF bits 'n' jerks.

The electricity voltage probably has nothing to do with it.
I have a mac mini m2 with 16gb RAM and only 1 monitor connected via hdmi, but I tried the dpi connection as well, that didn't help. The resolution is 2560x1440 60 hertz (75 doesn't work so smoothly in some apps).

Last edited:

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I left the mac on overnight and it started to get a little sluggish again, especially the mouse when I scroll through sites

what the hell is going on with him?

I also notice that the mac itself goes to sleep because the backlight on my mouse turns off over time.

The sleep mode is off in the settings, what's the matter?

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Standard voltages are 110 and 220. The 250V rating effectively says that your Mac will operate just fine if the line voltage is a bit high.

When you said things were laggy and jerky, I think we all assumed you were having issues with input controls. The mini is known to have some Bluetooth quirks. So, that’s where we start, especially since few users use wired peripherals these days.

I know you don’t want to hear it, but what you are experiencing seems to be normal for a Mac. There are a few active threads with folks complaining about similar issues with scrolling in windows and such being jerky. Any video I’ve seen posted to illustrate the problem looks like my everyday Mac experience over the last 20 years or so.

It’s definitely not overwhelming the gpu. It’s likely a software issue with various tasks dealing with input, redraw, and screen refresh rates drifting in and out of phase with one another.
if the normal operation of the mac is twitchy scrolling of pages, opening tabs and windows at 30 fps, then **** it. but I know that this is not the case, because for 2 days my mac worked smoothly, as it should have. I used macbooks and imacs, believe me, the mac works smoothly, not like I have now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.