Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttforever

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Has anyone had problems turning their phone on since updating 12.1.1? mine seems to require the power button to be held in for 10-15 seconds to boot up, but was fine under 12.1.0

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Have the same problem. It's quite annoying. Before updating to 12.1.1 I just had to tap the power button to boot up. Now I have to hold it for a few seconds (not for 10-15 as you but maybe 5).

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Same for me, although I think it only happens if I just turned it off. I think it's still shutting down even though nothing is shown on screen, and you really have to wait until it's finished.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I always turn my iPhone off during the night and it still takes a long press the next morning to turn it on. Hopefully it’s just a bug and gets fixed :)

Reactions: ttforever

Heavy Dude

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
Also for me. At first I thought it wouldn't boot at all :( but then I held the power button pressed and the Apple logo appeared.

Another thing i have noticed is that after the Apple logo appears it is much faster to get to the logon screen than earlier.
So perhaps it is booting in the background, but the logo just appears later.

Hope its just an easily fixable bug..

Reactions: ttforever

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Isn't this how most iPhone models at least used to work if not still work?

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Isn't this how most iPhone models at least used to work if not still work?
Yes, in the past it used to work like this but - I think it was some iOS 11 update - changed the behavior so that it was enough to just tap the side button to power the iPhone on. And now it’s back to the old behavior (hopefully just a bug). By the way, on my iPad Pro it was always the case that I had to hold the side button down to boot up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, in the past it used to work like this but - I think it was some iOS 11 update - changed the behavior so that it was enough to just tap the side button to power the iPhone on. And now it’s back to the old behavior (hopefully just a bug). By the way, on my iPad Pro it was always the case that I had to hold the side button down to boot up.
Seems like the "newer" behavior was more of a bug rather than the old one, given that inadvertent action could turn the phone on rather than a more deliberate one, which seems to be more in line with how something like that should function.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Is there a reason for the regular need to power off/on the phone, besides a bug fix?

I’ve probably turned off my phone once a month since owning it.

I always turn my iPhone off during the night and it still takes a long press the next morning to turn it on. Hopefully it’s just a bug and gets fixed :)

If you’re not using it, why not leave it on & plugged into a charger overnight?

Reactions: AppleWes

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
Honest question- why?

If you really want to stop everything (besides silent side switch), airplane mode turns off all radio activity and much faster vs. full power cycle.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Is there a reason for the regular need to power off/on the phone, besides a bug fix?
[...]
If you’re not using it, why not leave it on & plugged into a charger overnight?

Honest question- why?

If you really want to stop everything (besides silent side switch), airplane mode turns off all radio activity and much faster vs. full power cycle.

Just out of habit and I think it may be perhaps a good idea software wise (clear RAM etc.) :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just out of habit and I think it may be perhaps a good idea software wise (clear RAM etc.) :)
Habit is one thing, but in terms of it being a good idea and all that, while it can be good to restart once in a while, there's really no real benefit to do it on a daily/nightly basis.

Reactions: AppleWes

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Nah. Ask most/all here. No RAM issues by leaving it on overnight.

Benefits from leaving it on & charging are that backups to the cloud can happen whilst you sleep & (if enabled in settings) Apps can update automatically over wifi, so if you let this happen overnight, you’ll have updated Apps by the time you wake up.

IOS updates may also be automatically installed once downloaded.

Many benefits related to keeping your software fresh, by plugging in your phone & leaving it powered up.

Turning phones off is akin to turning modems off or switching TVs off as the wall outlet. No need, unless you’re not going to use them for weeks/months.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Experiencing this as well. I thought it was just me but you definitely have to hold the lock button longer to turn the phone back on.

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
About 5 seconds pressing makes it boot. Seems to then boot really quickly. As first world problems go, this I can live with.

BarGuy

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2018
I know this post is a few months old, but thought I would toss in my 2 cents. When you have arthritic hands, holding that button down with a case on can be annoying, as lots of times my finger will release prior to the 5 seconds, resulting in my having to attempt to hold it down again. Lots of times I will just place it on my wireless charger, as putting a powered down phone in a charger will boot it instantly. Also, over the years, I have noticed that anyone that keeps their phones on 24/7, the battery life is diminished greatly (friends have said, my phone says its at 100%, but I have to charge it like an hour later). Whereas with my phones, that I have always powered down nightly, when I go to sell them (anywhere from 2-4 years later), tend to still have an 80-85% capacity remaining.

Reactions: chris4565

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know this post is a few months old, but thought I would toss in my 2 cents. When you have arthritic hands, holding that button down with a case on can be annoying, as lots of times my finger will release prior to the 5 seconds, resulting in my having to attempt to hold it down again. Lots of times I will just place it on my wireless charger, as putting a powered down phone in a charger will boot it instantly. Also, over the years, I have noticed that anyone that keeps their phones on 24/7, the battery life is diminished greatly (friends have said, my phone says its at 100%, but I have to charge it like an hour later). Whereas with my phones, that I have always powered down nightly, when I go to sell them (anywhere from 2-4 years later), tend to still have an 80-85% capacity remaining.
Plenty of people while have their phone on all the time have that type of capacity if not even more remaining after some years as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.