Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juddawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Are there any upgraded power supplies you can purchase for a G4 Quicksilver? This is the non-airtunnel version.

I noticed mine was making noises, was having trouble with extra peripherals (hard drives, extra ram, etc.) so I removed everything extra, it was performing fine, now is acting up again. It periodically makes a clicking noise if it's been on for a while. I have replaced the hard drive, memory, heatsink module, fan, CD-ROM, graphics card, and still it does this and seems to be getting worse now.

I have narrowed the problem down to either the Power Supply or the Motherboard, since the problem seemed a lot worse with an extra hard drive in the unit. Looking at the specs for the power supply, it isn't rated at a very high Wattage, so I'm looking if possible to get either a brand new one or one with higher wattage if that's feasible. I looked on ebay for one, but people are selling for $110 or more (which is ridiculous when the whole computer is worth maybe $400).

Any suggestions? I am normally a PC guy so am used to just swapping out parts if they go bad, but am having no luck with this (I have built and maintained over 10 different computers over the years and this mac is the only one I have had trouble with for longer than a week or two since I can't swap out the parts easily).

PS ordered a 24" iMac, but waiting on it to come in still, I would still like to keep the old unit however as a secondary system.

Duffman

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
Kyoto, Japan
Well, I may have missed the bus on this, but I am dying to know--did you ever find a replacement PSU for your Quicksilver? I am looking for a suitable upgrade to the 344W that I have in there now. Fortunately, I am not having issues, but I am afraid I will. I've maxed the ram @ 1.5 GB, I have 3 IDE 320GB drives and one SATA 320GB drive internally, with a 1.8GhZ upgraded CPU card, 2 PCI cards, and a Radeon 9800 on the way from ebay (in addition to all the factory stuff). I am afraid that all this nonsense is pushing limits that are not meant to be pushed, and I dont want to kill my Mac.

I have spent the better part of the day searching ALL the usual haunts on the internets for a PSU and/or random mac parts, and the best I can come up with is ebay, as you mentioned, or buy a new/refurbished actual apple PSU for somewhere between 150-260 bucks.

Yeah right.

Or, there is always the option of gutting/rebuilding the Quicksilver into PC case, which I dont have the desire or time to deal with. I just refuse to believe that there is not an suitable 500W or so PSU out there that will work. I guess firewire external drive cases are always an option, too.

Does anyone know of any sites/makers that sell a PSU that could be used as a direct swap? I'm completely effin lost here.

Arigatou in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.