Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I have not heard a lot about the power support case for sale on apple's website, and I am just wondering why not.

It SEEMS like a nice case, its thin but protective, and clean look.. I am wondering if there is some reason people arent suggesting them in the case threads. I have read a few case threads and EVERYONE seems to suggest the Incase ones, but i dont really like the way those look.

I would like a case that doesnt really go over the front of it, just a back case. I have a screen protector, so it shoudl work with that.. NO HOLE In the back for the apple to show through

HERES A LINK

and my other question is, is there a good iphone holder that clips to a car VENT?? I dont think the ones that suction to the window would work for the layout of my car, I also already have my satallite radio in the upper left area.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I tried it. After a couple of weeks it left gouges on my chrome bezel. Gouges that I can't buff out.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
really??? Is there anything that LOOKS like it? I mean, i love that it doesnt go too far over the front.

What are you using now??

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
oh.. eh. I'm not a fan. They are too much,. I just want a plan, sleek. solid color minimal.

I WAS going to do a skin, but its week one with this phone and i droped it once already. A skin is just not gonna cut it.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I've got the clear version of this case sitting somewhere, on the first few weeks it was really nice to look at, but after quite a while when I realized I might really drop my iPhone I switched to a different case.

mrXniick

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Northridge, CA
the incipio feather is simliar to the black air jacket, with slightly better protection of the chrome and top of the phone. I recently switched to it from the incase slider, and love that it adds no bulk.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
I WAS going to do a skin, but its week one with this phone and i droped it once already. A skin is just not gonna cut it.

Actually, silicone cases have much better shock protection, and the Capsule Neo that was mentioned above is great because it has a silicone layer inside.

scull20

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
I used a black Power Support Air Jacket from January up until last week. Its a very minimal design for a case. While it does provide some protection against blunt scratches...it may end up causing damage in the long run.

First off, lint and whatever else is in your pockets ends up getting caught in between the case and your phone. This debris can cause some scratching on the back of your phone...it did on mine, though it was fairly minimal.

Secondly, the phone does shift ever so slightly up and down inside the case. There is nothing you can do to prevent this from happening. In turn the debris stuck between the case and the phone will move around and cause scratching...as I noted above. Additionally, the minor shifting will end up marring up the chrome bezel.

Thirdly, because the top and bottom of the phone are completely exposed, the case acts sort of like a painters tape. When you take your case off you will eventually notice a distinct line where the edge of the case sits that has no scratches or wear, compared to where the case leaves the phone exposed and is worn/scratched.

Fourthly, The finish on the back on the case will start to wear off on high friction areas...the corners, around the vibe and ring switch and volume buttons. Marks where the finish has been scraped off will start to show up after a while as well. While this is good that the case is getting scratched and not the phone...I would've liked to have seen the backing be a bit more resilient.

Lastly, it offers very little shock protection. The reason I stopped using this case is because I dropped my phone last week and ended up breaking the LCD. The glass did NOT break...but the LCD was all white and busted. Thankfully...I got a free replacement.

I switched back to my Switcheasy CapsuleNEO...and will be putting on an iSkin Solo in black once it gets delivered.

The Power Support Air Jacket is a nice case if you are careful about what is in your pockets and you take the case off and clean it and the phone at least once a day. The Anti-Glare screen protector included is by far the best screen protector I have ever used. In the end its quite pricey for what you get, but its all about what you want in a case.

Hope it helps! (Sorry for being long winded).

-Ryan

P.S. Here's my Black P.S. Air Jacket after 4 months of not so gentile but not brutal use. Sorry for the blurry shots (took them with my phone).

The plastic is actually clear and "painted" black on the outside. You can see through the clear plastic where the finish has been worn or scratched away.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 68
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 71
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.