Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2002
Here's the deal. About 4-5 years ago, I had an iBook G3 12". The cable
i used to connect the iBook was a white cable with a 1/8" stereo jack on one end, which plugged into the iBook's earphone jack, and 3 color-coded jacks on the other end (RCA cables, I believe), which went into the corresponding color-coded ports on most TV's, VCR's, etc.
When I did that, it mirrored the laptop monitor but displayed DVD's extremely well.

Now I want to do the same thing with my PB 12", but that wire does not work. All I get is sound, but never any video, no matter what I try. I'm assuming that the earphone jack in the Powerbook does not send out some kind of video signal like the iBook did, so what kind of connector do I need? Is it something that will connect to the mini-dvi port instead?

Thanks.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
That is correct. The headphone jack is sound only. Apple sells a mini-DVI to RCA (might be s-video) cable that you are supposed to use.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2002
Appreciate your answers. I have a rev. b G4 Powerbook 12" (1GHz). I'll have to double check, but I think it's mini-dvi...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.