Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Hey there --- I recently sold the model Mac mentioned above to a fellow member of this site. I installed OS 9.0, updated to 9.1 and it seemed good to go. I sent it off to him (albeit a bit late) hoping that it would find a good home.

Now, when he boots, he gets the following error code with a sad/frowning Mac:

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 F
0 0 0 0 0 0 6 9

Anyone know what that means?

EDIT: Found a link at MacNN.com that has the following response to a similar question:

I once had a simmilar problem when I first bought my 1400 a couple of years ago. Although I didn't see if the screen remained on when closed (as I never closed it when I noticed the problem) I was getting the sad mac icon on startup and nothing I did would get it to boot. After much swearing etc I noticed that one of the keys (number 9 key in my case) was stuck down and once I losened it, it started fine. So a check of the keyboard could be in order. It may aslo be possible that while all the keys appear normal it may be stuck down underneath.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
CanadaRAM said:
Next thing to do (esp. since the machine has recently been shipped by United Parcel Destruction Service) is to open it up and remove and reseat all connections -- RAM, hard drive, etc. to make sure your connections are all good.

I have no expanded RAM, so it cannot be that. I went and removed and reseated the HD. Same error still. I went and removed the HD and booted to see what it says. I got a ? over a floppy disk. So right now it seems to be the HD that's causing the problems.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Raven VII said:
I have no expanded RAM, so it cannot be that.

You have to hav a RAM module of some sort for it to boot OS 9.

Have you tried putting the HD back in? Does it do the same thing?

Perhaps try booting from a CD and see if you can *see* the hard drive.

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
When mine did that it was the hard drive. But, not the drive itself... something in the connection. Never did get her to go, except to boot from cd or floppy, as already stated. BTW I still use that 1400 sometimes, cause I put os8.0 on a pcmcia, drive... which works just fine. [it's a small drive] MV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.