Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
[OFFTOPIC]
i remember koreans got a bit upset because prior to the world cup, they heard some protests about their dog eating habit...

i agree with the sentiment that it's rather hypocritical to eat some animals and criticise others for eating other kinds of animals. of course, this doesn't hold for someone who's a vegetarian... but fifa (soccer organization, dominated by european influence) did criticise korea while saying nothing about cow/chicken/pork/etc. eating habits of others.

in the case of koreans, however, some of them treat dogs cruely before cooking because they believe it makes dogs taste better. THAT is wrong.
[\OFFTOPIC]

rjerje

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2003
The price cut today establishes a (barely) respectable interval between now and the WWDC, if (as I expect) Apple intends to announce new 15" Powerbooks then. My guess is that that will happen (@ 1.4 GHz), that the other two models will get a speed bump and that 970's are down the road six months at least.

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
ok,

All the talk has finally crushed my hopes. I agree concur.. no 970's in the next powerbook revision. It doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm lost.

And I can't find my way home.

_f

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Off Topic...

I'm vegetarian... soo... but still, they couldn't wait until it was an adult? Not to start a flame war... but where do people think SARS came from?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/05/23/hk.sars.cat/

Well I would never eat a cat personally because I do consider them a particularly dirty animal when it comes to diseases and stuff they carry. On the other hand I am sure I have eaten dog at one time or another and I have eaten horse knowingly.

I don't have anything against vegetarians just thouse that try to push it on others. It's one thing to educate it's quite another to shove down ones throat(no pun intended). I grew up with Adventists and know very well what it is to be a vegetarian but I choose not to because I see it as very difficult to get proper nutrition as a vegetarian. It's a total balancing act. In any case I still don't see the difference in eating or killing a baby animal or a full grown one. Like I said killing is killing.

Sorry to take this off topic more.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Re: PowerBook 15inch in June?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Kodawarisan claims that the revised 15" PowerBook G4 will be released at a special event in June.

Why would anyone make a special event for such old technics?

A special event implies that there is something special, new, exiting, yet completely unknown to be presented.

A new 15"G4... who cares?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: PowerBook 15inch in June?

Originally posted by visor

A special event implies that there is something special, new, exiting, yet completely unknown to be presented.

A special event doesn't mean a Macworld. It just means a press event which Apple does for every announcement except for minor price drops.

Besides the 15" G4 though old is still one of the best laptops made.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Re: Re: PowerBook 15inch in June?

Originally posted by visor

Well, I guess the best they could do with a G4 is:

-Improved 15.4" screen
-Backlit keyboard
-Bluetooth and Airport Xtreme
-Faster processor, higher FSB and DDR RAM
-Faster hard drives...

That's about all they can do...

Edit- And new Aluminum case :)

hofman

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2003
I am quite sure that the new PowerBook 15" will be released tomorrow, tuesday. I can just feel it ;)

We have waited and waited. Tomorrow must be the day :)

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by hofman
I am quite sure that the new PowerBook 15" will be released tomorrow, tuesday. I can just feel it ;)
This is highly unlikely. Think about it, why would the drop the price on the TiBooks Monday, just to release the brand new AlBooks Tuesday? Can you imagine how many pissed off customers might have bought the TiBook the day before once the price dropped?

I thought last week's 15" PB update might have been the last opportunity they have to do it before WWDC.

a6rnh

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2003
yorkshire sausage
jonathan ive

jonathan ive has just won designer of the century here in britain, wow, is he really that good?

on the actual subject of 15AI PB-come on apple , just release the thing, we all know you've got them ready to go, it's really not a big secret anymore!!! my money is burning a hole in my bank account...

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
That's the thing -- the price drop, nice as it is, spells a longer wait. Unless Apple clearly billed the drop as a model closeout sale (a strategy the company never uses), people would feel like they had been tricked.

My guess is that there were still too many of these in the channel and it's going to wait a few weeks minimum before making another move.

elo

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
all i know is that the updated 15" should get DDR ram.. its still stuck at SDRAM, while the 12 and 17's are ahead. A backlit keyboard would be nice, and maybe a lil processor bump? otherwise im good to buy a 15 inch right before i go to college in august

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by Six
all i know is that the updated 15" should get DDR ram.. its still stuck at SDRAM, while the 12 and 17's are ahead. A backlit keyboard would be nice, and maybe a lil processor bump? otherwise im good to buy a 15 inch right before i go to college in august

Same here, and I agree with others that the new PB will have G4s, not 970s. I’m exited though, because I’ve herd that they will have the new G4s which are supposed to be at 1.33Ghz, run cooler, and use a lot less power causing a drastic improvement on battery life. I’ll keep daydreaming, because I really need a new portable for school. I hope the new 15” AluBooks rock.

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
i don't care...

At this point, they just need to release SOMETHING be it 970 or g4 or whatever, update it, release a roadmap, something, just do it! I want a new laptop now!

elpinchegringo

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Re: i don't care...

Originally posted by DrGonzo
At this point, they just need to release SOMETHING be it 970 or g4 or whatever, update it, release a roadmap, something, just do it! I want a new laptop now!

Seriously! I'm starting med school in the fall and I want a laptop now! The 12" is too small, and the 17" is too big. I'd be happy with the current 15" if I didn't already know it was a step behind its siblings.

On the other hand, the 12" with superdrive for $1699 and the $200 rebate on the iPod sound good if they don't release the 15" on time.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Originally posted by Six
otherwise im good to buy a 15 inch right before i go to college in august

I'm going to college too in August, and I convinced my parents to let me get a new powerbook, which is why I'm also anxious to find out how Apple is going to update their laptops before next fall. And I want to work at Apple when I grow up too! lol :)

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
If the 970 is even going to be used by Apple I don't think it will be released by Aple until Fall or December. When was the last time Apple released something simultaneously or even close to the date it was made available to them. They are usually 6months to a year behind.

Do we know when it was/will be made available to them?

Panther

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
Originally posted by rjerje
The price cut today establishes a (barely) respectable interval between now and the WWDC, if (as I expect) Apple intends to announce new 15" Powerbooks then. My guess is that that will happen (@ 1.4 GHz), that the other two models will get a speed bump and that 970's are down the road six months at least.
On the other hand, if they announce any 970 in anything, then the writing will be on the wall, and they better shift everything over pretty quickly.

If the 970 really is that much better than the G4 even at the same clockspeed (as MacBidouille would have us believe) then why would anyone buy a G4 at that point?

In a similar vein, if they announce 10.3 (Panther) at WWDC -- "...its 64-bit!!!", and announce the 970 "...its 64-bit too!!!" and in the same breath announce a bunch of G4 PowerBook upgrades, I don't think thats going to fly. Likewise I don't see them introducing a 15" G4 PB before WWDC then effectively obsoleting it three weeks later!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
No I have NO knowledge of anything.

Note: Rev 2.1 aka Rev C is the 7455A in most fast G4s.

If the XC7455BRX1400PF used is a 7455B (Rev 3.3 aka Rev F) chip and running in the high end PowerMac. Looks like Moto will have the darn thing available for mass order, basically now.
Effective Date June 19, 2003 ;)

Motorola is pleased to announce the new mask revisions for the 7455 and 7445 product families. The new mask revisions, Z93L64M AND Z83L64M, are fabricated at MOS13, a Motorola fabrication facility in Austin, Texas. Production shipment using this new mask will begin in June, 2003.

The Z93L64M AND Z83L64M mask revisions (Rev F XC7455A/XC7445A, i.e XC7455ARX1000LF) are designed to replace the Z91L96C (Rev C, i.e. XPC7455RX1000LC and XPC7455RX800NC) mask revision. The XPC7455/XPC7445 Rev C device, Z91L96C, will be phased out beginning June, 2003 and will no longer be produced.
But this may also mean, speed bump... soon...

Like after June 19th...

[edit - took me a couple tries :( ]

Eric-C

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2003
Disclaimer: I apologize if this point has been brought up already.

To me, the statement

Kodawarisan claims that the revised 15" PowerBook G4 will be released at a special event in June.

doesn't necessarily imply that it will have a G4 in it. I think the intention was that the line of 15" Powerbook G4 will be revised, meaning that the revision will replace that line. I thought we were fairly sure that the screen would be 15.4" as well. Of course, I'm not trying to give any credence to the 970 rumor, but I don't think this statement necessarily attempts to disprove it altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.