Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maurice442

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Hi everybody, I just wanted a few basic info about this PB160 like does it have a text editor (like Wordpad/Notepad in Windows)??? , if yes... where is it!!! We have this unit at my shop and we only want to do some very basic listings of parts and we only need it for that function and we like it because it's small....
Thank you all...
Maurice442

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
There should be a program called Simple Text. It's just like Notepad in windows. The other simple text editor is called TeachText.

Look on the machine for either one of those.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
SimpleText... you can also download System 7.5.3 (and the .5 update) from Apple, it is a free download. That way, if something goes wrong, you can reinstall the System. SimpleText will come with it. It is WYSISYG to a degree.

If you are running a really old version of the Mac OS, then it might be called QuickText or something. Same program, different names.

And SimpleText was distributed on a number of install floppies so that you could read the readme files on em... FYI.

Maurice442

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Thank you all..... BUT...

Thank you to all who answered, BUT I could NOT find that program anywhere on this computer??? any clues where it could be?

Thank you again...
Maurice442

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
You are probably running System 7.1, back then Simple Text used to be called Teach Text. Try using the "Find" command from the File menu in the Finder, and look for either Teach Text or Simple Text.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Maurice442 said:
Thank you to all who answered, BUT I could NOT find that program anywhere on this computer??? any clues where it could be?

Thank you again...
Maurice442

It used to be common for people to delete it so that they could gain some extra disk space (way back when 80GB was for a super server) and just use a program like Word to open files that required it. And plus, most floppies had copies of the program on it anyway so it wasn't a big issue. At Apple's support site, say you want help for an older product. It should give you a big page of downloads that are free. Abandonware, if you will. Look for the Macintosh stuff.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Sorry, can you tell us what version of MacOS you are using? Click on the Apple in the top left hand corner and select About this Macintosh. It should tell you what system software you are using.

In the meantime, why don't you download this? It's a System 6 startup disk, and it has TeachText on it. It's an old version, but should still be OK for editing text.

Good luck

Maurice442

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Power Book 160 versio

Hi Macrumors, sorry for the delay but I only work part-time now.... The version is C1-7.1 also I downloaded the startup disk you pointed me to but now how shall I make a Mac disk with a PC diskette drive? (if possible???) or maybe I should ask one of my brother-in-law who still has his Mac to make me one???
Thank you all for your advice
Maurice442 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.