Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
I currently have a PowerBook 17", which I use for my amateur photography hobby. It's a bit too big to be carrying around, so I would really like to get to a 15" model.

I'm debating two things:

1) Do I sell my existing PB 17" (Hoping to get $900 with my current configuration), and by a MacBook with some extra cash

2) Do I try and get a trade for a PB 15", with maybe a little more cash to get a 1.5Ghz+

I'm not sure if I am accurate the market value of the 17", so any corrections to my thinking there would be helpful.

I work for a large company, so I can probably get at least 4%, possibly 6% off a new MacBook.

I would be running PhotoShop CS2 on whichever machine I end up, which runs fine on my current PB 17. Any other photographers out there that have used a 12" for on-site image editing?

Thanks for any tips.

Darren

A is jump

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2005
San Francisco, Ca
Darren,

If you're using photoshop... I'd stick with the powerbook for now. they wont be releasing the Intel version for at least another 8 months or so... and in the mean time, it will be kinda sluggish on a macbook.

I have a 12inch power book 1.5ghz 1.25ghz ram. it is really portable, and really sleek, but the display is rather small... if I didnt have a desktop with a larger monitor at home, I would really want a 15inch. but I find Photoshop to work just fine for me... although I dont use it that often, and I never do much intense work... so take that as you will.
If you're satisfied with the 17inch PB I'd say just get a faster 15inch PB.
you should be able to find a newer model for a good price... and you wont have to worry about any mooing or wheezing or whatever some of the Macbooks are doing.
then once The next version of Photoshop is released, you can decide if you want to upgrade to a newer machine... by that time hopefully most of the little bugs will be worked out with the macbooks.

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
A is jump said:
If you're using photoshop... I'd stick with the powerbook for now. they wont be releasing the Intel version for at least another 8 months or so... and in the mean time, it will be kinda sluggish on a macbook.

I have a 12inch power book 1.5ghz 1.25ghz ram. it is really portable, and really sleek, but the display is rather small... if I didnt have a desktop with a larger monitor at home, I would really want a 15inch. but I find Photoshop to work just fine for me... although I dont use it that often, and I never do much intense work... so take that as you will.
If you're satisfied with the 17inch PB I'd say just get a faster 15inch PB.
you should be able to find a newer model for a good price... and you wont have to worry about any mooing or wheezing or whatever some of the Macbooks are doing.
then once The next version of Photoshop is released, you can decide if you want to upgrade to a newer machine... by that time hopefully most of the little bugs will be worked out with the macbooks.

I appreciate your response, and I believe you and I are probably on the same page. I have an opportunity to trade for a 12", but I am worried about the screen size (No external monitor).

I'll probably continue down the path of finding someone willing to trade their 15" for a 17". I don't need the full 17", but a 12" would be cutting it close. Maybe a trade + some extra cash can get me a bit more processor power too.

Thanks again,

Darren

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Have you tried a 15" pb for a couple of hours? I really would advise you to do so because you'll certainly notice the smaller screen. Everything will feel much more crunched together. I had a revA 12" pb for 2 years and always thought it would just be enough. Then I upgraded to a 15" a little more than a year ago and it really felt huge in comparison. When I look at a 12" machine now I'm thinking how could I work with this small screen for 2 years? It is all a matter of what you are used to. Do not judge without direct comparison, or else you may be disappointed after the trade.

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
chaosbunny said:
Have you tried a 15" pb for a couple of hours? I really would advise you to do so because you'll certainly notice the smaller screen. Everything will feel much more crunched together. I had a revA 12" pb for 2 years and always thought it would just be enough. Then I upgraded to a 15" a little more than a year ago and it really felt huge in comparison. When I look at a 12" machine now I'm thinking how could I work with this small screen for 2 years? It is all a matter of what you are used to. Do not judge without direct comparison, or else you may be disappointed after the trade.

Very good points. I've actually got a friend that has a 15" PB, so I have used it. I'm sure I'll miss the real estate, but givne what I am trying to accomplish with it, I think it will be worth the loss.

Darren

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.