Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangeclockwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2003
Hey,
Does anyone have any advice/experience with buying apple products on ebay? I have talked to many sellers who are selling apple products for ridiculously low prices. It's tempting, but at the same time i don't know if they will not just rip me off and not send the product. Most sellers are overseas. Any comments???

One product: Powerbook 17" with 23" display for $2200...now that obviously seems too good to be true

thanks

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
I'd be cautious. Either the PB had a malufunction and doesn't work right or it's a scam. Although, I don't have much experience with eBay so it could be legit. Is there a way to track a persons buying/selling record?

orangeclockwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2003
every sellers record seems flawless...the catch is none of them seem to have sold expensive stuff before...they all have sold either baseball cards or cheap books...sounds kind of iffy

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
or they have hacked someone's account so that they appear to be a reputable seller.

This cannot be legit. $2200 for a 17" PB and a 23" display? That's gotta be below cost.

One sure test is to ask them to use escrow with a service of YOUR choice. (escrow.com maybe?) Any legit seller would understand why you felt this was necessary. the ones who are trying to scam you will have a million excuses why this will not work ("it's against company policy," "I need the money fast," "I can only use this one certain escrow service...")

let me repeat, this CANNOT be legit. Only the 17" PB for that price has gotta be close to what wholesellers pay, if not lower. Plus you get a $2000 display for free? If it were a legit seller they could easily unload the whole package for twice that and have a very happy customer.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
There's about a 1% chance that a deal like that is legit. Don't risk it. A 'good deal' on current Mac gear means saving a couple hundred dollars AT MOST. Look at other Mac auctions. Sellers are getting nearly full retail price for newer Macs in good condition. Ask yourself, why would someone sell their setup for nearly $3000 less than it's worth? Don't get greedy. If you want to save some $$ on a mac, check out refurbished products from the Apple store or smalldog.com.

dornball

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2003
Denver, CO.
don't do it.

definitely a scam.
there's something to the saying " if its too good to be true, then it probably is."

my advice is......walk away.

i myself got ripped off by one of these deals.....selling a powerbook+23" cinema display.

don't make this mistake.

-dornball

orangeclockwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2003
thanks for the advice...i won't make the deal...unless apple doesnt come out with new powerbooks soon and drives me insane (not that i ahve any resentment towards them)

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
LISTEN!!!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY STUFF FROM THESE PEOPLE.

ebay's had a rash of fakers and people who've hacked other people's accounts.

i reported one to ebay because the guy had e-mailed me an offer from an account that i recognized. the next day ebay sent me a message saying that it was a fake like i thought. it's a big scam circle. don't get taken in.

i wish ebay was working harder to weed these people out. they screw it up for the whole auction community.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.