Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

This issue has came about within the past 2 days, very odd. Basically, even if my Powerbook was fully charged, I take it off the charger, use it for maybe 15 minutes and I'd get a battery low warning. Then about 5 minutes later, it shuts off. The battery is not dead at this point, but Mac OS X reports it to be. What gives? This is a brand-new-not-even-a-month-old Powerbook with the new high-res screens.

Solutions?

Thanks,

lieb39

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
lieb39 said:
Hello everyone,

This issue has came about within the past 2 days, very odd. Basically, even if my Powerbook was fully charged, I take it off the charger, use it for maybe 15 minutes and I'd get a battery low warning. Then about 5 minutes later, it shuts off. The battery is not dead at this point, but Mac OS X reports it to be. What gives? This is a brand-new-not-even-a-month-old Powerbook with the new high-res screens.

Solutions?

Thanks,

lieb39

Definetly not within normal operating specs. Give apple a call, they'll send a replacement.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Why not do a search? This is a very well-known issue with the new powerbooks. Check out apple's forums for more details. The only solution is to get a new battery, apparently. And Apple WILL charge you $120 for it.....just kidding.

cheers,
PDE

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I took it in, they just immediately took my information without looking at the machine itself. And they asked for my password… is that normal?
Powerbook-less :(

Cheers,

lieb39

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
lieb39 said:
I took it in, they just immediately took my information without looking at the machine itself. And they asked for my password… is that normal?
Powerbook-less :(

Cheers,

lieb39

Well, not for a known issue that for most people has been resolved through a new battery. You shouldn't have to be without the computer for a problems that most seem to report is a pure battery problem...

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
PDE said:
Well, not for a known issue that for most people has been resolved through a new battery. You shouldn't have to be without the computer for a problems that most seem to report is a pure battery problem...

Well I brought it in on a friday (I know, very stupid) so I guess when they get around to mine & realise it, they will have a quick fix (hopefully.)

Thanks,

lieb39

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Did you try resetting the power management unit? (PMU)

I had a failed battery and they talked me through this on the phone.

You shut down, remove battery, remove power cord, press and hold the power button for 5seconds.

See here fore details:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq11

In the end, they just sent out a new battery though, and I returned the old - no hassle.

lieb39 said:
Well I brought it in on a friday (I know, very stupid) so I guess when they get around to mine & realise it, they will have a quick fix (hopefully.)

Thanks,

lieb39

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.