Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2004
NZ
Hi,

My 12-inch G4 powerbook has started behaving weirdly when charging from the power adaptor. It used to keep charging if I put it to sleep or shut it down but now if I do this the light around the power socket turns to green and it won't charge no matter how long I leave it for. What can I do to fix this. Thanks.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
gdavid said:
Hi,

My 12-inch G4 powerbook has started behaving weirdly when charging from the power adaptor. It used to keep charging if I put it to sleep or shut it down but now if I do this the light around the power socket turns to green and it won't charge no matter how long I leave it for. What can I do to fix this. Thanks.
How old is the PB? If it's under warranty, call Apple.

Which version of OS X are you using? Have you upgraded anything immediately before noticing the problem? Do you have a spare battery, and, if so, does it act the same way?

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
This just happened to me too!!!

I thought it was the power adapter too, but it was the DC board and it needed to be replaced in my 12" PB. Apple care took care of it, I saw the invoice though and it was $300.00
my advice is get it fixed IMMEDIATELY and here's why:

my battery was pretty full capacity, but by me keep trying to get the PB to charge it ruined my battery which AppleCare did NOT pay for.

When I took the PB to the Apple Genius, my PB fried the Apple store charging cord.

The same exact thing you are describing is what I would have described but after a few days it got worse, it would only take a charge periodically. I wish (for my battery's sake) that I had taken it to Apple right away

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.