Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I want to run my Mac off my Dell 2005FPW and was wondering if it's too risky to do this with my PowerBook closed. I know this can be done, but is it safe? Can the air still circulate safely? I would do dual displays, but I don't really have the room to mount my PowerBook on my iCurve.

Thanks in advance! :)

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
You can safely do this with your PB because, unlike the iBook, heat is not emitted from the keyboard. The PB was designed to operate this way.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't sure because I mistakenly thought air actually circulated through the PowerBook's keyboard, but I guess that is not the case. Is that why the iBook has to be hacked to use extended desktop?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
While the PB safely operates in "clamshell" mode, I avoid doing so for extended periods of time. Heat clearly escapes through the keyboard and palmrest surfaces, as evidenced by the heat present on those surfaces.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
I run my powerbook 12" with my 20" 2005fpw over dvi closed all the time, connected to over 7 USB devices, firewire drive, and under full load quite a bit, no problems what so ever. I can also run it the same with the clamshell open to run in dual screen mode just fine.

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
if you are worried about it, you can close the powerbook, awake it with an external input (using monitor now) and then open the lid. as long as you dont touch the keyboard, it won't wake up, so you can let it air out. in fact, i am doing this right now.

i hope you dont mind if i add my own question now. when i run it this way (closed or open) the PB fan is always running. when i run my PB normally, the fan goes in and out.

why is that?

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
same here, the fan runs constantly on mine when hooked externally. i'm pretty sure its because the video procressor is pushing more pixels, making more heat, telling the kernel to keep the fan running.

Edit: I have also noticed USB devices also jack up the heat of the powerbook...

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
stevey500 said:
same here, the fan runs constantly on mine when hooked externally...

I think its a saftey from the blocked cooling paths. The big port on my powerbook is in the hinge at the base of the screen. Close the screen, and it seems like the biggest port is blocked off.

Honestly, this thing is so hot (heck, it looks like it cooked my new replacement battery - but thats another thread) I'd rather not push it by blocking vents.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
How do you run dual screens with the powerbook? i have an ibook with one 20 inch dell monitor already hooked up to it through the mini VGA. Is there some way to bridge the monitors or something?

iProd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
AppleGuy08 said:
How do you run dual screens with the powerbook? i have an ibook with one 20 inch dell monitor already hooked up to it through the mini VGA. Is there some way to bridge the monitors or something?

Yes, google Screen Spanning Doctor...just remember, you REALLY don't want to run an iBook with the lid closed :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.